Does DCSW really need more than 4Gb of RAM?

Does DCSW really need more than 4Gb of RAM? Obviously without running fat processes in the background or using Ramdisk. The reason I'm asking is that everybody here seems to have an awful lot of RAM installed, but my computer running DCSW never seems to use more than 3,7 Gb...

AMD Ryzen 3600, Biostar Racing B850GT3, AMD Rx 580 8Gb, 16384 DDR4 2900, Hitachi 7K3000 2Tb, Samsung SM961 256Gb SSD, Thrustmaster T.Flight HOTAS X, Samsung S24F350 24'

In my case, at the price of Ram there did not seem to be any reason not to go with 8 and the two machines I have, that are newer than my game rig, have 16. If you can afford it the extra headroom is always nice to have. Especially so if DCS is not the only thing you do with the machine.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Well, I haven't seen an application yet, that would use up all of my RAM and start swapping. I do not do Photoshopping or anything like that on my computer...

Edited by Gloom Demon

AMD Ryzen 3600, Biostar Racing B850GT3, AMD Rx 580 8Gb, 16384 DDR4 2900, Hitachi 7K3000 2Tb, Samsung SM961 256Gb SSD, Thrustmaster T.Flight HOTAS X, Samsung S24F350 24'

Well, I haven't seen an application yet, that would use up all of my RAM and start swapping. I do not do Photoshopping or anything like that on mu computer...

As I said, it depends on what you do with the machine. I do use Photoshop and the images from my camera run around 12-14GB, but everyone has different needs.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I would say yes, the OS would use a little under 2 depending on what you have installed and if you have onboard sound. 8 would do for most situations and as mentioned already nothing will use it if you have more installed, it won't hurt but it certainly doesn't help.

8GB of ram installed over here.

Typical RAM usage of the system when i play DCS is between 5 and 6.5 GB.

Have seen it peak above 7 while i was hosting a DCS game and playing as well.

So yes, more then 4 GB is useful, even if DCS itself won't use it all, the OS does.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The keeper of all mathematical knowledge and the oracle of flight modeling.:)

Also depends on your os. If using 32 bit your machine can only access 3.5 to 4 gig.

If running 64 bit I'd recommend more ram. Your hard drive will run less and you'll be ready for the upcoming 64 bit version of world which will definitely use more.

I noticed your sig shows a Samsung 640 pro SSD.

Have you referenced a tweak guide for SSD's? If not you should. It includes turning off swap drive on the SSD and moving it to the mechanical drive, or off all together if you don't have a mechanical drive. 8 gig or more is recommended if the swap drive is off.

Asus Sabertooth P67 Motherboard 2600k CPU, 16 gig DDR3, 1600. Samsung 830, 256 gig hard drive,

GTX780 Video Card, Warthog Hotas, Razer Mamba mouse. Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals. Trackir 5, Verizon FIOS 25Meg Up/Down

8GB of ram installed over here.

Typical RAM usage of the system when i play DCS is between 5 and 6.5 GB.

Have seen it peak above 7 while i was hosting a DCS game and playing as well.

So yes, more then 4 GB is useful, even if DCS itself won't use it all, the OS does.

What app is using alot for you apart from DCS when running DCS? I have 38 processes running on my Win 64 Ult. But its pretty barebone to make sure less problems. My system takes 3.5 GB while running a barebone mission. As i have a extreme OC on my CPU (watercooled systems that is) i use only 6 GB of mem so far as those chips i have in is pretty good.

Edited by xracer

System spec:

Intel Core i7 920@4.2Ghz (stable, 65degC fully loaded), EVGA GTX-780, Asus P6T Deluxe V2 v.5.04 BIOS, Saitek X52, 1TB/500GB WD HD for system/storage. Kingston SSD 120 GB for DCS, 250GB Samsung 840 SSD for the rest. 16GB Kingston KHX1600C9D3 Memory, 9 GB Pagefile, EK HFX-240 Watercooling, Corsair HX-1000 PSU. HAF-932 Tower, TrackIR-5, Win64Ult

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Does DCSW really need more than 4Gb of RAM? Obviously without running fat processes in the background or using Ramdisk. The reason I'm asking is that everybody here seems to have an awful lot of RAM installed, but my computer running DCSW never seems to use more than 3,7 Gb...

if you have more available ram, the system or programs will use it.

if you only have 4GB, you'll only be able to use 3.7 after Windows processes.

if you upgrade to 8 GB, you'll use more than 3.7

Windows 10 Pro, Ryzen 2700X @ 4.6Ghz, 32GB DDR4-3200 GSkill (F4-3200C16D-16GTZR x2),

ASRock X470 Taichi Ultimate, XFX RX6800XT Merc 310 (RX-68XTALFD9)

3x ASUS VS248HP + Oculus HMD, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS + MFDs

with trackir, helios, my key mapping program, MSI afterburner, Nvidia control panel, Core temp, fraps and DCS:world (oh yeah and win7ultimate)....I find it very beneficial to have 8 gigs of ram while I play DCS......anything less would be uncivilized.....

It only takes two things to fly, Airspeed and Money.

I think having 8+ GB of RAM is good because you can completely disable swap which is a definitive plus. I think 8-12 GB is optimal today. I had 6GB on my old PC and it wasn't enough to have swap off. The reason I bought 16 instead of 12 is that a) it's cheap so why not and b) Having 12 GB would require to have 3x4GB modules instead of 2x8GB.

edit: I wonder how you make dcs to take 3.7 gb ram on a pc with 4 gigs ... must be a lot of swapping going on there - now I just checked and with swap off I have 2.5GB used (about 350MB by chrome, the rest is system + services).

Edited by lanmancz

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Elite, Intel i9 9900K, Fractal Design Kelvin S36, Zotac GTX 1070 8GB AMP Extreme, 32GB DDR4 HyperX CL15 Predator Series @ 3000 MHz, Kingston SSD 240GB (OS), Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 NVMe (sim), Fractal Design Define R5 Black Window, EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2, Win 10 Home x64, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Thrustmaster MFD Cougar Pack, TrackIR (DelanClip), 3x 27" BenQ EW2740L, Oculus Rift S

wth, I have no idea why this second post is here. sorry abou that

Edited by lanmancz

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Elite, Intel i9 9900K, Fractal Design Kelvin S36, Zotac GTX 1070 8GB AMP Extreme, 32GB DDR4 HyperX CL15 Predator Series @ 3000 MHz, Kingston SSD 240GB (OS), Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 NVMe (sim), Fractal Design Define R5 Black Window, EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2, Win 10 Home x64, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals, Thrustmaster MFD Cougar Pack, TrackIR (DelanClip), 3x 27" BenQ EW2740L, Oculus Rift S

I do a lot image creation on my PC. 16GB is pretty much standard for that sort of thing and I often use most of it. The less reliance on pagefile the better.

I don't test for bugs, but when I do I do it in production.

I think having 8+ GB of RAM is good because you can completely disable swap which is a definitive plus. I think 8-12 GB is optimal today. I had 6GB on my old PC and it wasn't enough to have swap off. The reason I bought 16 instead of 12 is that a) it's cheap so why not and b) Having 12 GB would require to have 3x4GB modules instead of 2x8GB.

edit: I wonder how you make dcs to take 3.7 gb ram on a pc with 4 gigs ... must be a lot of swapping going on there - now I just checked and with swap off I have 2.5GB used (about 350MB by chrome, the rest is system + services).

You should never disable swap. Some programs won't even run w/o swap. That being said its ok to set it to a very small value.

Hmmm.. interesting thread.

I guess I'll have to watch my RAM usage and see how much is actually used. I bought 16GB of RAM because... well, because RAM is cheap nowadays and I might do 3D stuff and sound/video editing on that PC as well.

I have no clue how much is used when gaming.

But I guess if you have multiple monitors (I have four at the moment) and TrackIR, and Touchscreen software, and TS, and software for gaming controllers and other stuff it might be good to have more than 4GB of RAM. Especially since windows itself is not exactly known to be careful with RAM usage...

16 might be overkill though, I have to admit that. But 6 or 8 might be the right amount.

RAM use is not the only metric to watch..you should also look at the program's and systems total commit size as that is the total amount of memory the application/system has requested. depending on what programs you have running total commit may or may not be larger than physical ram. Also note that due to the system caching file handles and such your total commit can grow over time.

On my system with 8GB of physical ram the my total commit is about 8.3GB including DCS,trackIR,TS3,Helios,etc. It starts out around 6.9 but does grow after about 90 min of flying. It peaked out at 8.3 so I set a 1-2GB swap file to give me overhead. Im on an SSD so telling windows to start with 1GB and max 2GB is appropriate.

Some programs won't even run w/o swap.

I've always operated this rig without swap and haven't run out of memory so far (I've got 16GB installed). But then again this machine only runs DCS + some utilities...

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

I've always operated this rig without swap and haven't run out of memory so far (I've got 16GB installed). But then again this machine only runs DCS + some utilities...

It really depends on the application for example AD will not run at all w/o a swap file even if you have 128GB in the system.

Some apps perform better w/o a swap as well. But generally speaking you should have a swap at least as big as whatever you have your kernel dump configured for in case of a crash

on my 8GB system the swap is set for max of 2GB on my 16GB system its set to a max of 1GB.

right now on my 16GB system even with a total commit of 4.8GB of 18 only 4.5 GB of physical is being used. Its cached file descriptors and parts of inactive applications that arent changing