An illustrated DCS World story part 1

Dgl44

Last night I have written a story about my first combat flight in the F15C which turned out very unexpectedly. So here it is:

The multimillion dollar jet fighter that almost could

Once upon a time, in Georgia, on Vaziani airfield, a newbie pilot was called to duty to suppress a few Russian attack planes and helicopters attacking the US convoy in a nearby city. His callsign was Uzi 1-1.

1600hrs - I climb into the cockpit, starting up the aircraft. Freshly out of basic air to air training this was my first combat deployment on the Eagle.

1.jpg

Our tanks were already rolling by the time my plane was starting up

2.jpg

1603hrs - just three minutes later all systems are nominal and I proceed to taxi

3.jpg

Shortly afterwards, takeoff clearance is granted and I advance the throttles to send my Eagle downrange

4.jpg

We have liftoff

5.jpg

With landing gear and flaps retracted, I proceed to set up the Doppler pulse radar

6.jpg

Turning back towards my area of operations

7.jpg

A minute or so of flying and I already lock on to an SU 24

8.jpg

Solid lock as indicated on the HUD

9.jpg

Just to give you an approximate idea of my surroundings:

10.jpg

Concentraing on the targeting. I get the launch authorized symbol as well as notice that the target is in the "no escape zone" on the radar screen.

11.jpg

While I am too aware of the su24 I have locked on to, I am not at all aware of my surroundings. Another su24 launches on me. It's fired a heatseaker so I am clueless - no warning systems for IR guided missiles.

12.jpg

Everything happened extremely quickly. As you can see, from the time of launch to the time of missile release on my part, the SU24's missile had travelled a distance of 4.4km.

13.jpg

By the time my missile had activated, I already recieved a russian present.

14.jpg

Usually, on US planes, the AA missiles drop from the pylon and then activate. Which is why I always wait after release for that satisfying shush sound and a trail of white smoke. In the split second that I had before impact I already started to ask when is my missile going to activate, and just when it did, the sound was a bit louder than usual, the aircraft shook a bit and from below me a missile shot away towards the Sukhoi. It was perfectly synchronized.

15.jpg

Master warning light went off and the "Hydraulics failiure" alarm started sounding. The airplane flew but it had a bit less lift on the left wing.

16.jpg

A quick glance back to assess the damage sustained. When I saw that I was lacking half a wing, my first thought was that the bloody aim120 tore off my wing by activating on the pylon, and flying off with it!

17.jpg

I manage to stabilize the aircraft and reach the airfield not far away.

18.jpg

To my surprise, gear lowered normally.

19.jpg

On final approach going way too fast

20.jpg

To be continued...