F-15 BVR targeting question...

I've looked for the answer to this, but just cant figure it out. Can the F-15 BVR lock more than 1 target at once,( I thought the training video said this was possible, but I couldnt figure out how) and if so what is the default key to do this. At the moment I am locking one target and firing, lock next target and firing....(repeat). It seems a little dangerous.

The second part to the question is............Once I have released the missle does the radar have to stay on? Or does the missle need the radar to keep tracking the target. Sorry if these are dumb questions, but I am new to the modern era a/c capabilities.

Cheers!

I've looked for the answer to this, but just cant figure it out. Can the F-15 BVR lock more than 1 target at once,( I thought the training video said this was possible, but I couldnt figure out how) and if so what is the default key to do this. At the moment I am locking one target and firing, lock next target and firing....(repeat). It seems a little dangerous.

Yes, you can lock multiple targets at once. This will only guide your AIM-120s and you must activate TWS mode with ALT-I.

The second part to the question is............Once I have released the missle does the radar have to stay on? Or does the missle need the radar to keep tracking the target. Sorry if these are dumb questions, but I am new to the modern era a/c capabilities.

Cheers!

That depends.

For AIM-120 and AIM-9 you won't need a radar at all (especially for the AIM-9, and at close ranges for the AIM-120) but you will need to guide an AIM-7 all the way. Lose lock, lose the missile.

Likewise, the AIM-120's seeker has only a limited range, so long range shots require you to keep a lock on the target at least until the missile goes active (ie. it activates its own radar).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

The only dumb question is the question not asked. :)

You are looking for whatis called TWS mode. Hit "i" to turn on your radar. Then hit "Alt-i" to get TWS. In this mode you can designated multiple targets. TWS in the F-15 has its problems though... do a search in these forums to learn more about TWS mode... good luck