guided missiles: how to idendify targets and place rectangle exactly

michaff

Hi guys,

I`m just preparing for the cold warrior campaign using some custom made missions.

Today i flew some runs using guided missiles.

But it seems quite impossible to me placing the rectangle exactly on target ( tank, bunker) when using the maximum firing range to stay as long as possible out of enemy fire.

The missiles always hit in a circle about 20m in diameter around the target, but never exactly on it.

Though there are no optical systems like Shkavl you have to rely on your own eyes - but as I said: at a distance of 7km a tank is a very very small dot and the moving increment of the rectangle is far not fine enough.

By the way: if the tank doesn`t stand on a yellow summer field including sun shining at high noon it`s really difficult spotting it at all from above.

I know, i could use the zoom-in mode, but this is kind not realistic to me. Using labels as well.

How do you identify your targets at greater distances and handle the rectangle? Any hint is welcome.

By the way: how do pilots in real life handle that problem? Can`t imagine they use binoculars...:huh:

regards!

michaff

1. Real pilots really DO use binoculars.

2. How steep are your attacks? If you're in a shallow dive even a small angular over/undershoot will result in the missile landing relatively far away from your target.

3. I believe if you don't fly exactly at the target, your reticle will tend to "drift" during the dive?

4. You can still move the reticle after you've locked and even fired the missile. You probably know this, but just in case you missed it somehow.

5. You could try unguided heavy rockets (S-25, S-25) against tanks and other vehicles. In my experience they work very well. You might have to get a little bit closer to your target but that is somewhat offset by the fact that you can pull out as soon as the rocket is away. I'm a few missions into the Cold Warrior campaign and I've only used guided munitions against big targets such as bridges.

6. According to most people, spotting units in DCS is more difficult than it should be. Most people find it a challenge.

7. Identifying targets is generally a lot easier if you know where to look. Read the briefing carefully, along with all the provided maps and take a look into the mission planner. Learn the landmarks around your target location well, so you can use them to narrow down your search area to something manageable, like say, a square kilometer.

8. Generally prepare as much as you can before you reach the target area. You should have your ingress/egress planned and weapons ready before you even start looking for targets, so you don't waste valuable seconds.

Thanks for your input, i`ll try out. I didn`t know the rectangle is still adjustable after locking on. I always canceld the lock on and try again.

It seems to me you have to use a way different engage tactic using this guided weapons. Only one carefully prepared run pointing exactly on target so only few adjustable inputs are necessary. Then dropping the whole load and get out.

At least maybe these weapons were initatly designed for attacking large structures like a bridge or something like as you mentioned and not for small moveable targets.

I read about sorties against mountain caves in the russian - afghan war.

but once again back to the binocular: for target-identification and navigational use, okay. But I still can`t imagine in real life a pilot during a attack run in one hand binocular, other one on stick placing the rectangle exact. But maybe in RL Su-25a never attacked such small targets using that weapon...

again, thx for your input

regards

but once again back to the binocular: for target-identification and navigational use, okay. But I still can`t imagine in real life a pilot during a attack run in one hand binocular, other one on stick placing the rectangle exact. But maybe in RL Su-25a never attacked such small targets using that weapon...

Bare in mind that in RL there are residual effects from having a warhead of that size explode near by a target as well as collateral damage. So laser pin point accuracy, while it does the trick of guiding the missile, may not be entirely needed for certain warheads going up against certain targets

Splash damage DCS can still be improved upon and it not at the level that most people expect (yet).

314-я смешанная авиационная дивизия

314th Mixed Aviation Division: The "Fighting Lemmings"- Forums: http://314thsquadron.enjin.com/ - ED Forum Group: http://forums.eagle.ru/group.php?groupid=119

• 3 weeks later...

One thing to keep in mind is that you have to hold your plane level while slewing the laser designator on the locked mode, to get the target crosshair on top of the target. If you're leaning slightly to the left/right, the crosshairs will also dip slightly left/right and downwards, making precise targeting impossible as trying to correct a ill-placed lock will only make things worse.

As soon as the crosshair is on top of the target, you don't have to worry about it and can maneuver the plane slightly (+- 10 degrees) while still retaining the laser at the same location. Thus the process for me is roughly like this:

1) Find the target

2) Slew the laser designator close to the target while leveling the plane out and flying towards the target

3) fine-tune the designator on top of the target once the plane's level to avoid the designator crapping out due to the sideway-slewing effect

4) Fire and maneuver slightly to either side to avoid possible aa fire while waiting for impact

Due to the size of the designator on the hud, precise targeting is still rather impossible unless you want to modify the center of the targeting reticle to be a lot smaller, but with the default setup I've been able to kill 2-3 tanks per one run with 4-6 missiles carried in a relatively stress free environment, with some practice and repetition I'm sure the number could go even higher.

As for finding the targets, I suggest using morevisibility- mod at a very high-extreme setting, it's a must have for dcs in my opinion.

Edited by Sleksa