Do we have a RL pitch/roll-command gradient curve simulated in DCS Su-27?

LJQCN101

Hi. I ask this because I just gets too tired of setting different curve for different planes to achieve a reasonable control response considering both dogfighting and flying wingtip formation. It's like reinventing the wheel cuz I read that in RL, deep study will be conducted in FLCS curves to make sure the plane gets a good control quality. For example the F-16.

2qjhls7.jpg

vq7drr.jpg

(NASA FLCS, pretty old)

So is there some possibility that DCS Su-27 uses a real life curve so that players won't bother with their own stick settings, or we already got it in the Flight Control System?

Edited by LJQCN101

EFM / FCS developer, Deka Ironwork Simulations.

Most or all of the manuals for the ED aircraft modules recommend linear response curves for X, Y, and Z axes as being the best simulation.

However, it's important to consider that a plane is not just a FCS software package, there's also a physical interface.

So unless your stick is the same length as that of the plane being modeled and gives the same proportion of command input per unit displacement, the linear curves may not be the most useable setting in DCS.

For a modern FBW with a pressure sensing stick (like the F-16) there rather pricey mods that you can add to a TM warthog or similar stick, where the linear axes might be a very accurate representation.

However, for most of the aircraft modules in DCS World a stick with a longer handle than most gaming sticks and a smaller maximum angular displacement (but greater physical displacement from center) would be the number one thing on the wish list for a better control interface.

You can get handle extensions for the TM Warthog, and I think also maybe some CH sticks, that at least partly solve the, "my control stick is too short," problem. Still imperfect though, because the degree of the stick's maximum angular displacement is designed around the assumption of not having a long handle.

In practice a lot of virtual pilots find that adding 5-25% curvature to the pitch and roll axes depending on their plane and the traits of the controller that they currently use helps a great deal in making the planes more easily controllable if aiming for high precision and accuracy.

Unless you custom build yourself an exact replica of the stick on the plane you're interested in, and custom software for its control response, having the input-response data from a real plane is going to be of limited use in improving your sim experience (If you do it post plans, cause a lot of people in the Sim-pit subforum would want to try it if your method fit their budgets).

The more practical approach is just to play with the axis curves until the plane feels good to you with whatever stick you happen to be using.

Edited by esb77
  • Like 1

Callsign "Auger". It could mean to predict the future or a tool for boring large holes.

I combine the two by predictably boring large holes in the ground with my plane.

Thanks a lot for the great reply. I'm using a X65F force sensing stick. The problem is to some degree solved if I set a higher force level. Now I use the following settings and feels good.

fjga47.jpg

Also found a good reading material about the force sensing stick:

http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a085085.pdf

I once tried to set the forces to a maximum 22lbs (X65F's limit) just wanna mimic RL F-16 force settings, but only to realize that it's too hard to maneuver the aircraft. Maybe I need more work out.:lol: No problem playing with a 70lbs compound bow though.

Edited by LJQCN101

EFM / FCS developer, Deka Ironwork Simulations.