DCS MP Virtual Server possible in cloud? - AWS, Azure, Google

From what i have heard, people have had DCS MP servers that worked on servers like Azure and AWS. I saw a post that stated the person initially had it working but gave up on it after it didnt scale, but that was from over a year ago. Cloud hosting services continue to evolve at a rapid rate and i wanted to ask if anyone has a general configuration or type of setup that works to run a MP server for about a dozen players using something like AWS or Azure.

are there config files that are needed to remove the dependence on the GPU or are there server options from the providers that will give the GPU needed to make run?

I know dedicated servers can be used and all the normal methods, but im specifically looking to see if there are any options using the pay by the hour cloud hosting virtual server option.

Suggestions in-line with that are what im interested in please.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i5 8600K OC @ 5.0GHz w/ Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler| MSI GTX 1080 OC Edition | 32GB DDR4 3600 | EVO 960 NVMe SSD | WD Black NVMe SSD

Win10 X64 | TrackIR 5 | HTC Vive | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS and Cougar MFDs | Saitek Combat Pedals

The answer is yes and no.

It works but only up until a certain client amount. We tried this last year and it fell on its face because our server is very popular and see's a lot of clients flying in it every day.

Lots of clients in the same DCS server puts a large load on the host machine.

The problem with Cloud hosting is unless you have a very good and specific deal with your host platform you're never going to be the only person/customer using the physical machine, or at least you cannot guarantee that the host is not going to allow other services to run from the same machine you are using to host DCS.

If you plan to only host up to say 20 clients, then you should be fine. But once you start seeing numbers of above 20-30 clients you're going to start having problems with server stability, warping and lag.

This is the primary reason why the top populated servers in DCS all run from Dedicated machines.

There are some servers than run from cloud services however these servers typically cater to crowds around the 20 mark, to my knowledge we have yet to see a cloud server host more than 30 clients in DCS without having problems along the way.

I'll finish by saying that we have not 'retested' this for some months but I doubt things will have changed... don't get me wrong, I'd love to be wrong about this but I'm pretty sure we are still in the same boat. If you want to host more than 30 clients you need a Dedicated machine with no other services running on it.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

104th Phoenix Wing Commander / Total Poser / Elitist / Hero / Chad

Thanks for the feedback, as i mentioned i am aware that dedicated server ultimately is the best options, but also as noted, im only looking to be able to handle about 'a dozen' people. Hearing that it could be as many as 20+ is actually good news as that is more than is needed for what i am trying to do.

So with that said, for a potential of about 10-12 users, how is this done on a virtual cloud server without a discrete GPU. I think this is really what im trying to figure out. I setup an AWS server with 2 cores and 8GB of memory but the DCS world client wouldn't fully startup. The loading screen came up and it sat there and/or crashed. To the best of my knowledge its because the client requires at least 4GB of vram.

So again, i am aware dedicated is best, I'm not trying to setup a large public server. Its purpose is for a more private user base so i don't need to worry about large user numbers.

Any input on how to even get it running for a couple users? what special config is needed?

Maverick, maybe you would be able to talk to the guys who tested the setup and had it working for the smaller number, or maybe you know yourself? that is what im after.

TIA

-D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i5 8600K OC @ 5.0GHz w/ Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler| MSI GTX 1080 OC Edition | 32GB DDR4 3600 | EVO 960 NVMe SSD | WD Black NVMe SSD

Win10 X64 | TrackIR 5 | HTC Vive | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS and Cougar MFDs | Saitek Combat Pedals

• 4 months later...

Has somebody been able to run DCS on cloud server w/o graphics card? There is utility using WARP. It's called dxcpl, and is part of windows SDK.

Some say that it works, but I had no such luck:

00202.931 ERROR   DX11BACKEND: Shader "enlight/sun.fx:DIRECTX11=true;" failed to create.
00202.934 INFO    DCS: try to write dump information
00202.936 INFO    EDCORE: # -------------- 20170608-223405 --------------
00202.936 INFO    EDCORE: C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\bin\dx11backend.dll
00202.937 INFO    EDCORE: # C0000005 ACCESS_VIOLATION at D169A64A 00:00000000

edit:

solved: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=189762

Edited by CGuy