DCS-BIOS - slave status request?

Hansolo

Hi Ian,

Sorry if this has been asked before but is there a way to command the individual slaves to send their status?

If I run joystick controller boards most of the inputs are automatically updated when I get in game.

If I was able to 'force' the slaves e.g. one by one to send what they have then I imagine that a similar effect could be achieved with DCS-BIOS. E.g. once RS485 master sees that game is sending data, then it will ask slave #1 for status, then send status to DCS, then ask slave #2 for status and send it to DCS. Once it has asked all slaves then function is being dismissed.

I am sure this will take a little time, but normally I am waiting 5-10 seconds anyway waiting for zoom to reset.

Is such a functionality possible ?

Cheers

Hans

Edited by Hansolo

I plan to include something like this in a later version of DCS-BIOS 2. The new command API will get a 'gratuitous' bit which signifies that the command reflects the current status but was not the result of the user actually flipping a switch. The new middleware software will then include some way to specify which controls should react to such commands. I'll also have to provide a way to tell all boards to send gratuitous updates for every input where that is applicable (it does not make sense for rotary encoders).

It is important that such a feature can be configured on a per-control basis because there are some things (battery power switch, EAC, ...) where it can cause more harm than good if it switches something off when entering a hot-start cockpit.

So DCS-BIOS will eventually get such a feature (several people have asked for this over the years), but I need to do more fundamental work (DCS-BIOS 2, new binary input protocol, event mechanism) before this feature can be added.

Personally, I never understood why you'd want to have such a feature. It would flip switches in your cockpit without knowing what it is doing, so it can switch off systems, switch them on before they are ready (e.g. not waiting for alignment), etc. I switched off the DCS option to synchronize my HOTAS throttle because several times I hopped into a hot start aircraft and my engines switched off because my throttle was still in the cut-off position.

That sound like very awesome news Sir.

I think this feature will be important to ensure that the simulator toggle shows the same as the real ones in the home cockpit. Else IMHO I might as well have used momentary switches or pushbuttons for all the inputs but that is not the pit I am trying to achieve.

DCS-BIOS has given us (none-coders) the opportunity to produce a more advanced home cockpit than would have been possible using ‘just’ a joystick controller. Please don’t get me wrong. The ‘just’ is by no means meant as a condescending remark. I have used them for all the inputs in my pit simply and have worked very well. But take a look at some of the stuff Warhog, Romeokilo, Patriot and many more have been able to achieve with DCS-BIOS.

Thanks again for this great news and effort Ian. Highly appreciated

Cheers

Hans