"Ailerons dropped"

terence44

Hello, I often have the green light "DROOP" which ignites on my panel, after a check in the textbook he is indicated "Ailerons dropped " Would have you information on what it means exactly ?

Thank you in advance

Ps: Sorry for my bad English

From the NATOPS:

2.15.4 Aileron Droop

Aileron droop is accomplished by a single--cylinder aileron droop actuator in tandem with each aileron actuator. The aileron droop actuators are powered by HYD 1. Aileron droop operation requires no pilot action. Inflight, with the flap switch in STOL, the ailerons droop 15° when airspeed is below 165 knots and nozzles are over 25°. This establishes a new aileron neutral position and aileron travel is 10° down to 25° up. After takeoff with the flap switch in STOL, the ailerons begin to reposition up (0° droop) 3 seconds after weight--off--wheels and nozzles less than 25°, or exceeding 165 knots. Aileron droop requires approximately 7 seconds to reposition 15° down after selection of STOL flaps with weight--on--wheels.

2.15.4.1 Aileron Droop Light

The aileron DROOP light on the caution/advisory light panel comes on when the ailerons are drooped.

I may have missed the point of your question. As far as what it means for the ailerons to be drooped, they essentially behave like flaperons when drooped. Under the defined conditions, which are fundamentally during low speed flight, both ailerons deflect downward to increase lift production at low airspeed by increasing the effective camber of the wing. This can also assist in lateral (roll) control during low speed flight.

See the attached photos of AV-8Bs. The flying aircraft have their ailerons drooped, while the aircraft on the ground does not.

Harrier-front-hover-820x450_1024.thumb.jpg.e50470aa3a51411dcf1c298cc34b1f93.jpg

harrier-rear-hover.jpg.d32ec7b53e141172fd06c1e772ef3ab5.jpg

6016358632_cbe7504f4f_z.jpg.1019a50adabe6d0fc679c392126b8c56.jpg

Edited by OStateBandit