Buffer overrun when attempting 1.12a install

Hello,

I'm currently flying 1.11 and would like to update to 1.12a. I started back in '05 with the LOMAC CD, then bought FC online and used Web patches from that point on.

Here's the problem: When I try to install either 1.12 or 1.12a I get this message:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Buffer Overrun detected!

A buffer overrun has been detected which has corrupted the program’s internal state. The program cannot safely continue execution and must now be terminated.

And my installation becomes corrupted - rudder pedals don't work any more and other such treats.

I tried installing a fresh new 1.12a (Web version) download this morning after backing up my LOMAC folder just in case and the same thing happened again.

Anybody have any clues as to what is causing this to happen?

Dave.

HEC 435W PSU | ASRock 939Dual SATA2 | AMD64 3700+ | 2G PC3200 DDR RAM

ASUS X1950PRO 256MB | Audigy 2 | Saitek X45 | CH Pro Pedals | Track IR3 Pro

XP SP2 all up to date.

I just d/led Runtime Library from the link you provided. Any risks associated with an overwrite?

Not AFAIK. The runtime library provides .dll and stuff, supporting other software. I don't know about one program which replaces parts of the runtime library, which then might cause problems after re-installing the runtime library.

Don't know if this will solve your problem, but after you wrote that a fresh installed LO + BS didn't work, it has to be the runtime lib that's foul.

kind regards,

Raven....

[sigpic]http://www.crc-mindreader.de/CRT/images/Birds2011.gif[/sigpic]

Sounds logical to me; I'll give it a shot.

What's odd is that I dl/ed 1.12 when it first came out and didn't connect the buffer overrun message to my corrupted LOMAC installation. I just figured the patch installation had terminated itself, no harm done, and I had developed some other problem that I never got around to solving at the time.

About a month ago I decided to start LOMACing again after a long vacation from simming and did a fresh installation just to start myself off with a clean slate, if you know what I mean. That's when I connected the dots via a backup folder to which I tried to install 1.12 which caused the corruption, or whatever it is, to repeat itself.

I was hoping 1.12a would be OK, but no such luck. Which lends credence to your Runtime Library theory.