Keybinding/Autopilot Issues

PJPower05

I am running an X56 Hotas, and have noticed that there are some controls that you can't assign either the joystick or throttle (Look Down At Cargo, Toggle Aiming Axis, ETC).  Anyone else run into this issue or know of a solution?  It allows you to keybind, but nothing else.

Further, what function (if any) does the autopilot have (other than activating).  I download CAPS X56 profile, and 3 buttons are dedicated to the autopilot (altitude hold, orbit, straight line).  The ONLY autopilot button I am able to get working is the autopilot on/off when operating from a different position.  What am I doing wrong? 

On 7/21/2021 at 5:53 PM, PJPower05 said:

I am running an X56 Hotas, and have noticed that there are some controls that you can't assign either the joystick or throttle (Look Down At Cargo, Toggle Aiming Axis, ETC).  Anyone else run into this issue or know of a solution?  It allows you to keybind, but nothing else.

Further, what function (if any) does the autopilot have (other than activating).  I download CAPS X56 profile, and 3 buttons are dedicated to the autopilot (altitude hold, orbit, straight line).  The ONLY autopilot button I am able to get working is the autopilot on/off when operating from a different position.  What am I doing wrong? 

Autopilot has the 3 modes Alt hold, Orbit, Straight. E.g. playing as the door gunner select Orbit and then activate the AP – the AP circles around the spot beneath you. So select the mode, than activate the AP and the AP will do what the mode says.

Recently I stumbled across the same key binding issue on external cargo. There are "External Cargo Release", "Pilot Cargo Release" and "Copilot Cargo Release". Only the second and third can be bound to a controller, the first is restricted to the keyboard. That's somewhat logical, as pilot or co you have a dedicated cargo release button on your stick – use this instead of a generic keyboard binding. So for example the reasoning for "Look Down At Cargo" may be: Being on the stick move your head yourself.

An other explanation may be, that they simply forgot to add a controller binding for those functions. With the advent of VR and multiplayer many members asked how to map the change of door gunner aiming mode (head tracking or mouse) to a controller button – you can't without editing a LUA yourself. Since the Huey doesn't get much love from the devs AFAIK the problem still persists. So it's up to you, there might be a solution on the forum.

But the easiest thing you can do is to use your controller software and bind a controller key to the needed keyboard key. Don't bind that controller key inside of DCS. Pressing the controller key now should activate the keyboard restricted command like a direct keyboard key press does.

Edited by jumphigh