DCS won't register throttle idle/off virtual buttons set through VPC software on CM3 throttle

A-Matter

I cannot figure out what I'm missing. I'm pretty sure I've followed the two-three guides on it -- setting up virtual buttons for throttle idle/off along with physical detents -- but I can't get the buttons set up through the VPC software to show up in the DCS button mapping panel.

I hope that makes sense. I've maanged to create virtual buttons on the throttle that should, if I follow right, line up with a throttle idle/off "switch" akin to the action of the Warthog throttle (which I understand is a dedicated "button"). Those virtual buttons respond in the VPC software, but DCS can't see them when I try to map them for jet engine cutoff/idle, engine on/off functions.

Has anyone else seen this? Is there some trick to it? Thank you.

Oh my god I've been slamming my head against this for hours and for some reason it's all working now. First they wouldn't bind, then they wouldn't all show up in the tester. Now they all show in the tester and bind perfectly, after redoing what seems to have been the same steps over and over. Typical.

Thanks for the input, though.

Now I'm trying to see if I can turn the E2 encoder dial into a rudder trim axis, but I might save that for another day and get to actually flying.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not sure if it would help, but I had a problem on F16 getting the throttle to move from idle into off position (the one where you have to 'twist' quadrant to the back). What solved the problem was going into Axis Command screen and adjusting deadzone to remove the very start of the throttle movement (used by virtual buttons created in Virpil software). In my case, it was moving deadzone from 0 to 4 (I'm using 'classic detent' on CM3, so your value could be different). Also, make sure you are using the same axis for throttle input as for virtual buttons.

Interestingly enough, on F18, I did not have to do deadzone trick. Go figure...

P.S. Binding axis in DCS. I found you have to move axis all the way through it's movement before DCS registers axis movement. Not sure why, it seems a bit counterintuitive. You can also manually assign axis through dropdown menu.