HAD overriding TGP Point Track

pchRage

SP test mission with 1 STP at a large tech-combine building and an EWR offset ~10nm to the west.

• setup left MFD as HAD and right MFD and TGP
  • select GBU-12 as weapon
  • set GBU-12 to CCRP mode
  • make HAD SPI and TMS UP on EWR.
    • Note TGP has swiveled over to EWR general location
  • make TGP SPI
    • Note TGP has NOT moved from EWR general location
  • TMS down to reset TGP
    • Note TGP has swiveled over to STP 1
  • TMS Up on TGP to set a point track on the building
    • Note point track box, countdown timer for GBU, etc etc
  • Now....
  • make HAD the SPI (do not touch TMS)
    • Note the TGP has now dropped its point track and swiveled back to EWR 😞

I think because the HAD is still "locked" on the EWR.. it forces the TGP there without any input and you lose the point track

If you make the TGP SPI again, nothing happens.. it doesnt go back to STP nor to your previous point track... you must TMS down to get it back to STP 1 and then re-point track.

Is this as designed? 

TEST-HTS-TGP-SPI.miz HTSTGP.trk

• Like 1

I would expect it’s like that IRL. Keep in mind, the sensors are trying to help you put a weapon on a target. When your HAD is SOI, the assumption is that you’re HAD target is the one you’re going to attack, so your TGP is going to look at it for you. 

I just tested this and you’re right. If I have the GM radar locked on a point and then on the other MFD I put the TGP into a point track on a different point, the radar doesn’t automatically switch to the TGP’s target. If I SOI back over to the radar and TMS aft, THEN it snaps over to the TGP’s target. 

So that raises the question, why does the TGP look at a HAD target without that last step (TMS aft)? I suppose it could be a bug, but I think it might have to do with the fact that the HTS system is constantly refining its coordinates. If the TGP didn’t automatically follow it then you’d have to repeatedly SOI back to the TGP and TMS aft to see what’s there. As is, it lessens the workload on the pilot. 

I’m glad you brought this up. I learned something new!