Split data on 2 different drives

Go to solution Solved by Tippis,

Hi everyone, here's my situation :

I currently have a SSD of 250GB to run my DCS on open beta, but I'm starting missing storage on it for other maps (like Marianas, or Persian Gulf).

I also have a 1TB HDD for other stuff.

So my question is, is it possible to install some data (like those 2 maps or other plane) on my HDD and still having all the rest on my SSD ?

(Please don't tell me to buy a bigger SSD I would like to avoid this option)

If anyone has any genius solution, I'll take it.

Fly safe !

• Solution

Yes, but it's a functionality built into Windows via links and junctions (and in this instance, junctions in particular) rather than something DCS or its installer can be made to do.

The tricky part is that, unless you know beforehand exactly what specific directories in the DCS install will be called, you can't prep them for the install and update, and instead, you have to let them install normally, move a particularly resource-hogging directory to a better location, and then link to it using its proper name. This little song and dance, then, will need to be performed every time you install something new that you don't yet know where it will be placed or what it will be called. So between the install and the final move and relinking of the directory, you're still going to need that free storage space (although it's entirely possible that you can make that a bit less resource intensive as well by moving and linking in the download directory that the updater creates).

So, basically:

1. Let the thing install.
  2. Move the offending directory to a more pleasant location.
  3. Use the mklink command(s) as shown in the article above to link the moved directory back into its original position.
  4. Hopefully, DCS will be none the wiser, especially not if junctions are used.

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧