Realistic Chaff Implementation

Cheetah7798

Pretty much in the title. One of the questions that often enters my mind is how effective chaff is in real life. In DCS, its exclusive use is as a last ditch effort to break a lock specifically in or around the notch. IRL, it would appear to be much more versatile and longer lasting.

I'd also like to pin a question to this request. It seems to me like chaff would work really well if dropped while fully defensive (flying away from the bandit) and losing altitude. Not only does the missile (or its host) have to contend with a look down scenario, but also a receding target with a trail of noisy microwave reflections. Is this the case, or is chaff still more effective in the notch?

• Like 3

The effectiveness of chaff depends on many factors, including the radar it's being used against. More modern radars have little issue filtering out chaff in most cases, while early radars might be rendered nearly useless by it. More realistic chaff would be nice, but in the modern setting I don't think it would actually increase its effectiveness.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files