ctrl+s DO SOMETHING WRONG

RommY
Go to solution Solved by Elphaba,

When you want to save your edition :

When you select CTRL+S after a slight freeze (usual) a new mission is actually presented to you (name on the top left) instead of keeping the current mission on the screen
You have to systematically reopen the mission you were editing after making a quick save

AND

Stil in the editor, the auto-save function does not work

Edited by RommY
correction

• Solution
On 3/20/2023 at 4:01 PM, RommY said:

When you want to save your edition :

When you select CTRL+S after a slight freeze (usual) a new mission is actually presented to you (name on the top left) instead of keeping the current mission on the screen
You have to systematically reopen the mission you were editing after making a quick save

AND

Stil in the editor, the auto-save function does not work

FYI if you have ANY dialog inspector open on the right side of the Mission Editor the auto save won't save when its countdown completes, the countdown will just restart and wait until the countdown completes AND all those panels are closed.

Because the way the ME was written it doesn't understand these 'atomic' changes (another reason it doesn't have undo/redo) and at this point it's impossible to add in without a HUGE amount of refactoring (basically a complete re-write).

So yeah, this is known about and mentioned in the bug list, because people have lost hours / a day of work on a mission because they didn't understand or know this. 

This is great, thank you for explaining the auto-save problem.
However, there is still the problem of saving a mission while editing.
When you go to "save" and click on it, DCS saves your mission BUT ..... shows me a new mission on the screen (marked on the top left of the screen) and if I want to find my mission I have to close this "new mission created by the editor" and open mine again.
But if I make the mistake of saving this new mission (blank), I am unable to reopen my old mission because it will reopen but ..... blank
This is my real problem.

Edited by RommY

On 3/28/2023 at 9:56 AM, RommY said:

When you go to "save" and click on it, DCS saves your mission BUT ..... shows me a new mission on the screen (marked on the top left of the screen) and if I want to find my mission I have to close this "new mission created by the editor" and open mine again.
But if I make the mistake of saving this new mission (blank), I am unable to reopen my old mission because it will reopen but ..... blank
This is my real problem.

You might want to read this:

On 3/28/2023 at 9:56 AM, RommY said:

This is my real problem.

You're overwriting your old mission when you do that save. I think you're using it incorrectly. Once you've saved a mission with your filename you can just CTRL+S and it will save over the top of the old one. You shouldn't need a new dialog open unless you are doing the first save or using SAVE AS or NEW.

I can't make you understand because I don't explain it well
I'm a network administrator and I know how to use a computer and save files, but you wouldn't know that.
I'll try one last time and then stop wasting time with me (even if it's nice)
I'm editing an assignment I've been working on for an hour. When I do CTRL+S usually my mission stayed in place on the screen and the *.miz file of the mission took the time to save (in the file manager).
Since the last patch, when I press CTRL+S (or whatever) DCS loads a new mission in the editor and in the top left corner of the window it says: new mission (instead of the name of my mission).
At this point, if I leave this new mission (which I don't need) without saving anything, I have to reopen my mission.
And if you have the misfortune to answer, by leaving this (blank) mission that you want to record, it is your real mission that is erased by this (new mission)
Some of my friends also have this bug but randomly, while I have it every day
I hope I have made myself better understood