DCS and Empire: Total War Demo possible issues

Coolhnd1

Hi, I just thought I'd share an problem I had that I suspect may be linked to the fact that I installed the Empire: Total War Demo over the weekend.

I installed the Demo I found I got an error when I ran Black Shark. I could get into the UI but when I tried starting up a mission I got an error when DCS.exe tried to load. According the MS bug report tool the issue seemed to be with the file dxrenderer.dll. I tried upgrading my NVIDIA drivers to the latest version with no luck. I tried doing a system restore to the previous week but XP said there were no changes to restore. :(

Finally I decided I had no choice but to reinstall DCS. When I did it also reinstalled it's directx drivers. Once I did that I was back in business. I'll probably have to redo the key changes I made but that's ok since I hadn't done many to this point. It did save a couple of the training missions I had created though so at least I don't have to redo those.

The issue may be specific to my GPU which is an 8800 GTX. I don't know but I thought I'd warn anyone else who might be tempted to load the Total War Demo. I will say that the graphics for the new Total War Game are really incredible. They don't allow you to see how the campaign works but the land and sea battles are really beautiful to watch. The only thing I hate about it is putting up with steam. I don't know if the demo will run now since I restored the DCS version of directx but I'll report back on that.

I hope it will be possible to run both of these games on the same computer since I've always been a sucker for this franchise since the first Total War came out like maybe 10 years ago.

Edited by Coolhnd1

-- CoolHand

After fixing BS it seems the Total War Demo still runs fine so I'm good there.

Thanks for the suggestion H-Street but I wasn't sure if maybe the dx loaded by Total War wasn't the more recent one and that's what was causing the issue. In any case I'm good now. I didn't even have to redo my key changes since apparently the reinstall didn't overwrite the current key assignments file.

Just something I'll have to be aware of if I decide to buy the game.

Edited by Coolhnd1

-- CoolHand