Displayed waypoint altitude changes on its own when using imperial units

itn

Using current DCS OB 2.9.2.49940

Mission Editor displayed waypoint altitudes change when switching waypoints. It's frustrating error with hopefully a simple and quick fix. The values change by +-1 feet per my testing. I'm using imperial values and have not tested if similar problems exist when using metric in-game.

A sample mission attached. In the mission I have two groups, with waypoints 0 and 1 set to same altitude.
Aerial-1 has waypoints 0 and 1 both at 6000 feet
Aerial-2 has waypoints 0 and 1 both at 300 feet

Steps to reproduce:

1. Select Aerial-1: Altitude is shown 6000 feet as set in the mission.
  2. Switch to waypoint 1: Altitude 6001 is shown
  3. Switch back to waypoint 0 and still 6001 is shown.

Same thing with Aerial-2 at 300 feet, except for that group the errorenous value is 299 feet.

Values in mission file are saved in meters. The values values in mission file do not change if you save the mission after switching and seeing the wrong altitude values displayed. I guess this is a simple rounding error in the display logic. The values in meters are 1828.8 (6000 ft) and 91.44 (300 feet).

1828.8 ~ 1829 which gives us 6000.656 ~ 6001 feet
91.44 ~ 91 which gives us 298.556 ~ 299 feet.

It's a frustrating error when going over dozens of carefully set waypoints, and no matter how hard you check and fix the values, they always seem to change.

ME-altitudes.miz

Edited by itn
Edit title

On 2/12/2024 at 10:21 PM, itn said:

I'm using imperial values and have not tested if similar problems exist when using metric in-game.

To add to this: If using metric throughout, the bug seems not to manifest. ME doesn’t allow fractional values for altitude (whole meters/feet only) and there’d be no unit conversion, so the issue just does not happen.

Problem is with rounding and/or unit conversions.

Edited by itn

• itn changed the title to Displayed waypoint altitude changes on its own when using imperial units