Damage Model

f15e

I love the attention to detail in the Jeff in terms of different failures and how they interact with the aircraft however it seems to me like the jet itself is extremely fragile. For example, a single bullet can hit an elevator and the planes fcs systems will fully shut down. I don't think any critical system is inside a single elevator so maybe this is modelled wrong? Also any bullet regardless of the caliber that lands in the general vicinity of the fuselage seems to just kill the engine even if it is not a direct hit to it. Maybe we should be given a chance to restart the engine if the damage is not severe. I think adding a feature like that would improve the immersion and allow for a better experience with the plane. 

Yes, I've never had an instance where I was damaged and only one FCS system goes down, or two, it's always an all or nothing.

I know it isn't armored, it's just a basic aircraft grade aluminum cover, and enough structure to hold everything together, but still - if I get my wing raked by AAA, all of a sudden I have no FCS at all? There's three of them in different places.

The engine I can understand - it's a jet, so any damage and you have fins coming off and destroying everything in the engine. I'd like to have simulation of the engine, but it's all faked, it's good enough where it will fake it correctly at the right altitude and right conditions, but it's not calculating the compression ratios of each part of the engine based on the fin angle or whatever, it's just a very crude engine-ish thing that acts enough like it that you can have fun.

That said, I think it's an issue with almost all modules in DCS, not just the Jeff, the prop planes might have a bit better modeling.

I'd love to have the simulation be good enough that like if I turn off the radar, I get slightly better fuel economy because it doesn't have to load the generator as much, or maybe I'm drawing too many amps from the battery so the voltage gets off and some systems don't handle that as well, maybe the LEDs dim or something.

Edited by Napillo
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Napillo said:

Yes, I've never had an instance where I was damaged and only one FCS system goes down, or two, it's always an all or nothing.

I know it isn't armored, it's just a basic aircraft grade aluminum cover, and enough structure to hold everything together, but still - if I get my wing raked by AAA, all of a sudden I have no FCS at all? There's three of them in different places.

The engine I can understand - it's a jet, so any damage and you have fins coming off and destroying everything in the engine. I'd like to have simulation of the engine, but it's all faked, it's good enough where it will fake it correctly at the right altitude and right conditions, but it's not calculating the compression ratios of each part of the engine based on the fin angle or whatever, it's just a very crude engine-ish thing that acts enough like it that you can have fun.

That said, I think it's an issue with almost all modules in DCS, not just the Jeff, the prop planes might have a bit better modeling.

I'd love to have the simulation be good enough that like if I turn off the radar, I get slightly better fuel economy because it doesn't have to load the generator as much, or maybe I'm drawing too many amps from the battery so the voltage gets off and some systems don't handle that as well, maybe the LEDs dim or something.

Honestly I don't think modelling the engine or other systems to extreme lengths will be necessary for a good DM however it would be nice if we got a simplified model of things where  necessary parts are actually modelled