Sensitivity Problem: Sidewinder Force Feedback 2

Hello all, again!

I've just recently purchased a bunch of new parts for my PC so I can run BS at lovely high details! xD

However, I'm still having problem with my FFB2 joystick: :joystick:

When the joystick forces make the stick 'centered'* there is a decent sized circular area that my stick is very loose before the forces resist my movement. In this area, I am VERY prone to over correcting. In BS, this is very bad trying to hover, as only constant very small inputs will affect a helo with big results!

Normally I could remedy this by setting a deadzone where the control inputs would be ignored until the stick reached the beginning of the centering force. This works well, until you realize that when I hit the trimmer button, the force feedback 'center'* changes to a new position, out of where the true CENTRAL POSITION of the joystick + my deadzone are. *(I say 'centered' because trim in BS can have the force feedback of the joystick want to 'center' itself in the top left corner for example.)

I've also tried to set the curves, which makes it even worse when trimmed towards the edges, as the curve makes it EXTRA sensative so my small input has an even LARGER effect!

So, my question to you as a community, and to the DEVs of BS:

Is there a way, to follow the FFB 'center' after hitting the trimmer and have the deadzone reset to the center of the trimmer force feedback zone?

I.E. The stick's new center can actually be anywhere after hitting the trimmer! Leaving the deadzone back at the middle 0,0 x,y axis. Where as the new center the forces want to push the stick to could be say, 50x, 50y! After hitting trim, is there a way to make not only the forces center around 50x, 50y, but the deadzone too?

Edited by aphelion79
Aparently I can't spell... lol

This is the info they have given us on the upcoming patch mate:

"*******************************************

NEW TRIMMER IMPLEMENTATION

In addition to the default trimmer implementation, in which control input is disabled momentarily to allow the player to quickly re-center his controls, a new method will be included in version 1.0.1 with a different re-centering logic. In the new method, control input is disabled until the player returns the controls to their neutral position. This allows the player to re-center his controls smoothly, minimizing unwanted control input.

The new trimmer logic is optional and is selected ON by default upon installation of the patch. Selection of the trimmer implementation will be available in the GAMEPLAY menu of the options.

The heading trim logic has also been redesigned. Functionality of the heading trim channel will now depend on the yaw rate when the trimmer button is released. If the yaw rate is under 3 deg/sec., the autopilot will stabilize the helicopter heading. If the yaw rate is greater than 3 deg/sec., the autopilot will stabilize the yaw rate to maintain the turn.

The trimming mechanism can be adjusted in the controls configuration file:

...Scripts\Aircrafts\_Common\FMOoptions.lua

The relevant variables are:

HelicopterTrimmerMethod - trimmer implementation option: 1 - original, 2 - new (selected by default).

The default neutral positions to which the player must return his controls to reactivate control input (in % of half of the controls' full motion!)

HelicopterTrimmerZonePitch = 0.05 (5% in pitch)

HelicopterTrimmerZoneRoll = 0.05 (5% in roll)

HelicopterTrimmerZoneRudder = 0.1 (10% in yaw)

HelicopterTrimmerTauInverse = 7.0 - time factor for the period given the player to re-center his controls when using the old trimmer implementation.

IMPORTANT! All of the above LUA values are recorded for track playback. Any alterations of these values may result in incorrect playback. Also, do not use the Windows Notepad to edit LUA files, as it will corrupt them. Use a proper UTF-8 capable text/code editor."

..it seems like this would solve the problem for us? Until then just do like I do.. Fly with a flat curve, and no deadzone at all. And be gentle.. LoL

"But (504)Brewber said they were'nt friendly.. So I took'em out.!"

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well that wont work for a FFB user, because when you trim, the forces want to keep your stick say up and to the right... however inputs will be disabled till you go back to center.

This function in the patch (the disabling inputs till re-center) is strictly for non-ffb users AFAIK.

I would like it so the sensitivity curve / dead zone recenter wherever the trimmer was pressed for FFB users. Or to know how to get the game to do this even now xD

You are right.. I actually didn't notice this..

It has been adressed in some other post on the forum, that much I know. And I am convinced that ED will fix this in the Patch (fingers crossed), since they went to such length incorperating the FFB Trim function from the start..

... lot's of hopes and wishes here, i know..!

"But (504)Brewber said they were'nt friendly.. So I took'em out.!"

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]