solution: xaudio2_1.dll crash on Xonar D2X

Hi, just thought I'd post the results of two hours of debugging :(

I have a Xonar D2X with the latest drivers on Win7 64bit. I bought DCS:Black Shark on Steam and the menu loaded but as soon as I tried to load a mission or quickstart I got a crash referencing xaudio2_1.dll with exception code c0000005.

I updated directx, tried older drivers, went through the FAQs here, turned off UAC, reinstalled BS, etc. The only thing that worked was uninstalling the driver or disabling the soundcard, which led me to try disabling all the other devices and now it works!

Right click speaker icon in taskbar -> Playback devices. Right click and disable "S/PDIF Pass-through Device" and "ASUS Xonar D2X Converter". You can right click and show disabled devices if you need to enable them later.

Not sure why this works, maybe the old directx dll doesn't understand the extra devices the Xonar driver installs. Hope this saves someone two hours of pain!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Thankyou jerichau, this solution worked with my D2X and saved me a hell of a lot of time and trouble! :thumbup:

Asus Z390 Code XI, i9-9900K, RAM 32 Gig Corsair Vengeance @ 3200, RTX 2080 TI FE, TIR 5, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB, HOTAS WH, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q, HTC Vive Pro, Win 10 x64

I have a Xonar DX or is it the D1 ? it the pci version, anyway, its the same software we use and also same OS, I remember having to disable some stuff in the drivers/software to get it to play properly, nothing major mind you, I cant remember what exactly it was as I went back to using my xfi platinum because I got fed up having to reach around the back of my pc everytime i swapped between headphones and speakers, the breakout box for the xfi is soo much handier.

But I do recall having to disable something in the Xonar software.

• 4 months later...

Hey. just felt like i'd need to share this that this solution also worked for my steam version Silent Hill Homecoming, which had this annoying xaudio2_1.dll error. what i did is, i went to Playback devices and disabled my Xonar D2 converter (pci) and also my onboard audio. thank you for this solution because apparently it also works with other games too.