JTACS for idiots

ColGray

• 1 month later...
Have you read the JTAC section in the flight manual starting at page 640?

The most simplified way I can put it is:

1. Contact JTAC and check-in.
  2. Wait for the 9-line to finish and after a short pause, they will say "advise when ready for remarks and further talk-on"
  3. Use the radio to say you're ready for remarks
  4. After receiving remarks, use the radio to provide the 9-line readback.
  5. JTAC will confirm readback okay, and say 'standby data'.
  6. You'll then receive a message on both MFCDs saying NEW TASKING; acknowledge this with the ack OSB at the bottom right or TMS LEFT SHORT.
  7. On your TAD, you will have a WILCO and a CNCMP option on the left and right. Use the WILCO option to accept the tasking.
  8. You'll see a red triangle on the TAD. Make the TAD the SOI, use the throttle slew control to put the cursor over the triangle, use TMS UP SHORT to hook the triangle, and then TMS UP LONG to make it the SPI.
  9. Use CHINA HAT FWD LONG to slew everything to the SPI (i.e. location of that triangle). At this point, your targeting pod will pointing at the coordinates the JTAC provided. Use it to locate the precise position of your target(s).

Exactly how you prosecute the attack depends on the type of control in effect and how the target is marked; I'd suggest reading page 642 at the very least. If you just go in guns blazing without following procedure your JTAC will tell you to abort.

Quoting and responding to this post so I can have it saved, thanks a lot!