Ok so I got the weapon systems down... but actually flying? ha

grandkodiak

So long time A10'er since Lomac/FC/FC2 and I'm just now devoting time to actually learn DCSA10 after regretting KA50 for months and months.

I have most of the ground weapons down pat now, but I have some general questions about the handling of the hog in general. obviously the flight model has been made far more accurate, so ive been unable to perform some of my favorite and proven ground pounder manuevers.

for example, i cant even seem to do a simple loop. before i would hit minimum target airspeed level of 200, then pull back hard, then ease it out and just be above stall speed heading 180 degree oposite direction stright n level. made clearing a column of trucks easy peasy after taking out its AA support. even at 250+ if i pull up in any hard manner, about 45 degees nose up, shell fall to the side in kind of a drunk fall down the stairs, anything but a wings level the entire way loop.

also, what is the corner speed range for the a10 in dcs?

So pull in such a way as to not exceed the critical AoA. Watch your AoA gauge if you need to. It's all about being a smooth operator ... just yanking the stick won't do much for you any more. Corner speed should be around 220-250, but as usual, it really depends.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

for example, i cant even seem to do a simple loop. before i would hit minimum target airspeed level of 200, then pull back hard, then ease it out and just be above stall speed heading 180 degree oposite direction stright n level.

An Immelmann turn? If you're packing weight you could look into the Split_S maneuver instead but you need a much higher altitude and you'll crash hard if you pull back too much on the stick or overspeed the aircraft.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

What I find most usefull is something that my IP called a Combat Turn; that is half-a-loop but with wings banked. Basically you raise your nose to some degree, bank your wings (that is: you don't perform the figure verticaly but in 45 degree relative to horizon) and pull the stick (gently, otherwise you'll reach critical AoA), then level out when you've changed direction - even if your bird is heavily loaded you can quickly reverse flight direction this way and prepare for another strafing run. Enjoy!

Avantar.

Edited by Avantar
More detailed description

Avantar

My rig: MSI MPG Z490 GAMING EDGE WIFI; HyperX Fury RGB 64GB (4x16GB) 3200MHz DDR4 CL16; Intel Core i9-10900KA; Zotac RTX 3090; HOTAS Warthog; HOTAS Cougar; MFD Cougar; Track IR 5; Saitek Pro Flight rudder Pedals

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

An Immelmann turn? If you're packing weight you could look into the Split_S maneuver instead but you need a much higher altitude and you'll crash hard if you pull back too much on the stick or overspeed the aircraft.

Here is a demonstration how it works: http://youtu.be/Etfh6Tznmro.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog :: Saitek Rudder :: Track IR5 ::

EVGA 3 GB GTX580 :: AMD FX-8120 :: SSD 240 GB :: Win7 Ultimate 64

LOMAC gave me so many bad habits! You just can't fly like you did in that sim.

I've seen the A10C fly at air shows and it performs very well. You can fly every maneuver realistically as long as your flying clean and with 20% fuel.

Also, the C model is meant to engage targets from 10,000 feet plus with the addition of the TGP.

Gotta change your style.

Also, the C model is meant to engage targets from 10,000 feet plus with the addition of the TGP.

Sorry to be pedantic, but the A-10C is not "meant to" engage targets at 10k feet, it's just a lot more effective in that scenario after the upgrade.

You can bet the "C" model will still be flying down in the weeds if the situation dictates it.

Sorry to be pedantic, but the A-10C is not "meant to" engage targets at 10k feet, it's just a lot more effective in that scenario after the upgrade.

You can bet the "C" model will still be flying down in the weeds if the situation dictates it.

That guns still one of the most popular weapons in Afghanistan among the soldiers I believe.

Always remember. I don't have a clue what I'm doing