Weather and winds in DCS...

This subject has been discussed in other forums, and maybe what I am saying has been said a lot of times - sorry if that's the case...

Regarding wind settings in DCS, many users complain about the not so natural way of definig your wind direction in the mission editor. When you say that wind is 134º you're actually saying that the average wind direction is from 314º true, towards 134º true... This is not intuitive, but I have already got accustomed to it...

Now, when the "Dynamic" Weather model is used, and the lows are spread along the territory, the barber poles actually show you the direction of the wind, and in the mission brief when you see wind 134º it really is aligned with the local wind (thus meaning it comes from 134º true and not towards...)!

I am using the Dynamic system a lot more now. I just didn't yet understand why such big values are generated for the pressure variation ?

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...

My guess concerning the big value thingy would be the units used. It saves ED the hassle of having to deal with floating points numbers. IIRC, the fluctuations are expressed in Pa, where we are way more used to seeing them in hPa. Could be wrong, though.

My guess concerning the big value thingy would be the units used. It saves ED the hassle of having to deal with floating points numbers. IIRC, the fluctuations are expressed in Pa, where we are way more used to seeing them in hPa. Could be wrong, though.

And I believe you may be right!!! I didn't figure out the units being used were Pa instead of HPa... That explains it all, and the escape from the floating point values too ;-)

Thx for your reply!

Flight Simulation is the Virtual Materialization of a Dream...