improving framerates?

hyperfighter

ok i have an amd dual core 6000+ running at 3,12 ghz

4 gb ram

and and ati HD 4850.

(i actually bought this pc for this game and dcs still runs like crap)

i see al these people bragging about getting 30 fps in combat etc etc,

now i wonder what i do wrong because in city's airports etc i can get my framerate above 13 and drops down to 9 (yes i have the shittest os ever i do have vista....big mistake)

i do set affinity to 2 cores doesnt help (o wow i get +2fps extra).

wether i put res at 800*600 or 1920*whatever its doesnt seem to make any difference either..

what ati-catalyst settings do i have to use?????

ive kinda lost total interest in dcs anyway, playing at 9 fps is no fun.

the fact that i cant play missions under vista is pretty stupid as well (there goes half the game in the bin...now why did i have to pay full price? half of the game doesnt work under vista. it would have been nice to tell me that before i bought the game!

oh yeah when i use external views framerate seem fine but in cockpit view 9 fps...ever tried to play a sim slide-show style?

:mad::mad:(sorry about the wining but just talking about dcs gets me pissed off already nowadays)

Edited by Ulrich
  • Like 2

Which in-game settings are you using(resolution, texture settings, AA, AF)? Maybe you have the cockpit texture resolution set too high so that you have such a low framerate.

Also, check that "Fullscreen" option is marked in the options. Otherwise it results in a massive FPS loss(half for me). I have a much slower system than yours, but I can run DCS fluidly with 20-60 FPS.

First of all, the game performs better in Vista than in XP. That you do not get a benefit from affinity is interesting though - I get a massive boost. When exactly do you set the affinity? If it is not while already in flight if you are doing it manually instead of using the tools that you can find on this forum, then that's your problem. The menu and actual sim are separate executables so it doesn't carry over.

Something is causing serious problems there anyway - my laptop is significantly weaker and gets much better performance, which it really shouldn't as a 2GHz Core2 with only 2GB of really slow RAM.

Also, if you have water on high, bump it down. It's an FPS murdered for any rig out there just like windowed mode. (Which you might be in even if it seems like fullscreen, if you have the window resolution set to your screen's native res.)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Which in-game settings are you using(resolution, texture settings, AA, AF)? Maybe you have the cockpit texture resolution set too high so that you have such a low framerate.

Also, check that "Fullscreen" option is marked in the options. Otherwise it results in a massive FPS loss(half for me). I have a much slower system than yours, but I can run DCS fluidly with 20-60 FPS.

res 1600*1050 changing this doesnt seem to affect anything...

texture set low atm, but if i put it on high no channge..

only things that seem to effect anything is civ traffic and scenes...

both to low now still get 9 fps,

put blur off no change...i tried all possible setting it wont help crap.

atm cockpit is 1024 (not every frame) but had it on 512, like all the rest of the settings changing this doesnt help anything...

i run in full screen mode...

First of all, the game performs better in Vista than in XP. That you do not get a benefit from affinity is interesting though - I get a massive boost. When exactly do you set the affinity? If it is not while already in flight if you are doing it manually instead of using the tools that you can find on this forum, then that's your problem. The menu and actual sim are separate executables so it doesn't carry over.

Something is causing serious problems there anyway - my laptop is significantly weaker and gets much better performance, which it really shouldn't as a 2GHz Core2 with only 2GB of really slow RAM.

Also, if you have water on high, bump it down. It's an FPS murdered for any rig out there just like windowed mode. (Which you might be in even if it seems like fullscreen, if you have the window resolution set to your screen's native res.)

i use the tool tha tautomatically does it, before that i waited to start the game (not the menu , and change it then)

Hm. That is seriously strange then. I assume you are absolutely certain that there's nothing in the background stealing processor cycles? You could try tweaking the priority of the dcs.exe process to see if that changes anything.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

|
| Life of a Game Tester

res 1600*1050 changing this doesnt seem to affect anything...

texture set low atm, but if i put it on high no channge..

only things that seem to effect anything is civ traffic and scenes...

both to low now still get 9 fps,

put blur off no change...i tried all possible setting it wont help crap.

atm cockpit is 1024 (not every frame) but had it on 512, like all the rest of the settings changing this doesnt help anything...

i run in full screen mode...

1024 cockpit is too high, I suggest 512. Also, you didn't mention if your "Fullscreen" setting is checked in the graphics options or not. It comes with "off" as default. Also, set a medium resolution like 1440x900 to be sure.

I suggest taking all your in-game settings to lowest settings to get a stable and fluid framerate, and then work your way up. Setting everything high and then lowering one by one doesn't help in most situations. Set especally "Visible Range" to medium or low. Check if you have antialiasing or anisotropic filtering on in the Catalyst Control Center.

Be sure to use this tool for affinity: http://code.google.com/p/dcsbsaffinitytool/

Hm. That is seriously strange then. I assume you are absolutely certain that there's nothing in the background stealing processor cycles? You could try tweaking the priority of the dcs.exe process to see if that changes anything.

was trying different sets and noticed the following, as soon as the horizon comes in to view framerate drops to 9...when i nose down so i cant see the horizon framerate goes up to around 28...

got sick and tired of it uninstalled the game, al this game does for me is give me frustrations..thats not what i am looking for in a game, i can get that at work.:doh:

Definetily some problem in your side there (it's not hard to spot checking your fast whining forum record). And the vista thing in the campaign is gonna be removed because it doesen't really affect.

Check your pc perfomance using Sisoft Sandra, 3dmark, etc and use the compare built-in tools.

AMD Ryzen 1400 // 16 GB DDR4 2933Mhz // Nvidia 1060 6GB // W10 64bit // Microsoft Sidewinder Precision 2

affinity on Vista x64

(yes i have the shittest os ever i do have vista....big mistake)

i do set affinity to 2 cores doesnt help (o wow i get +2fps extra).

Vista the shittest OS ever? maybe for noobs (sorry) :) try Vista x64 and set affinity to 2 cores. this doubbled framerate in my DCS. with 1 core I've had about 60 fps. now on resolution 1600/1200, AAx4, AFx16 with all graphics settings set to maximum (all but water) I got 107 fps in the pit (Data Link training mission).

http://img299.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dcs2009030916080306.jpg - DCS

http://img299.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dcs2009030916083965.jpg - DCS

http://img171.imageshack.us/my.php?image=fatalstivik.jpg - ArmA

my hardware is Gigabyte GA-P35 DS4 (mobo), Intel C2D E8400@4GHz (CPU), Gigabyte GF 8800GTS@750MHz (GPU), 2GB of Kingston HyperX RAM (1066 MHz) and Corsair HX520W Power Supply + Track IR 4 Pro.

Edited by funkee

[sIGPIC]http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/6720/avatarpolishairforce.png[/sIGPIC]

system specs:

mobo: Gigabyte GA-P35DS4 rev 2.1, CPU: Intel C2D E8400@4GHz, GPU: Nvidia 8800GTS 512, RAM: Kingston HyperX 4x 1GB 1066MHz Dual Channel, HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F1 640 GB x2, sound: Realtek Azalia ALC889A + SB Audigy + Dolby Digital/DTS external encoder/tuner, display: Asus VW222U 22', case: Raidmax Smilodon, headphones: Sennheiser HD650, stick: Saitek Cyborg Evo, Track IR4 Pro + TrackClip Pro, O/S: Windows 7/Vista x64

• 2 months later...

how do you remove every item having red triangles etc round them ?

if I load up Battle - single mission I get almost single digit frame rates ... even with affinity set to use all of my 4 cores

specs are Q6600 @ 3.5 gig + 6 gig RAM + 8800GTX - so should be ok ?

<Update>

used the DcsMax tool instead of setting afinity manually - and its made a DRAMATIC difference !

frame rates have more than trippled

now have triangles everywhere and still 50fps +

:) brilliant

red triangles sounds like you're in Game mode. If you want to get rid of them, try Real mode. ;)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

X2 6000+, only 2GB RAM, and an older 3850 with only 256MB...

1280X1024, 2XAA, 512 for ABRIS, Skhival, etc, civ traffic, scenes high, beautifull watter, and the only setting with real impact: textures medium, caused by my 256MB video card (otherwise I have a little shuttering). And a medium visible range.

I have in "Battle" a maximum drop of 18-20 FPS. The average is 40. I set the maximum of 50. I reduce "effects" (put in 2), because the "fog/dust" needs some optimization. The simmulation runs well in my 6000+ system.

Something strange in hyperfighter system. Mine is worse and runs better.

X2 6000+, 4GB RAM, 8800 GTS 640MB, AAx2, AFx16, 1920X1200, everything on high, except water (normal) and visibility (medium). With W2k3 it averages to 30fps and with Vista there is additional 10 fps boost.

Although X2 6000+ is little outdated, it handles DCS pretty well.

Wir sehen uns in Walhalla.