Main Into screen White!

Flim

Need more information on your system to make a sure call, but do try reverting to older drivers. It may be the driver that is broken. Also, please verfy the driver version number.

Google for the application drivercleaner as well. It is possible that you only got a fragmentary install when you updated the driver and that something in the OpenGL is broken as a result.

Also, get Notepad++, I'm going to dig up a file where you can set it to fullscreen, which might offer a temporary fix.

---

Try this:

Locate the file options.lua. It should be in a location similar to this: C:\Games\BlackShark\BlackShark\data\scripts\options.lua

It'll vary depending on where you installed it to, obviously. If you installed into Program Files, you may as well ensure that you run the program as administrator.

Open that file with Notepad++ (NOT regular notepad - it would probably work anyway with notepad but there is a risk of corrupting the syntax and/or encoding in the file, which would break things), save a copy as a backup.

Find the following:

["graphics"] =

{

["multiMonitorSetup"] = "1camera",

["color"] = "32",

["heatBlr"] = 1,

["scenes"] = "high",

["water"] = 2,

["fullScreen"] = true,

["visibRange"] = "High",

["aspect"] = 1.6,

["textures"] = 2,

["shadows"] = 3,

["display_mode"] =

{

ensure that the fullScreen variable has the value true, as in the excerpt from my own file there. This is because there was someone who had an issue that only appeared when the menu opened in a window.

This is also a place where you can make nice FPS savings through setting the water variable to the value 0. But don't touch that until we've sorted the whitescreen issue.

Edited by EtherealN

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Daniel "EtherealN" Agorander | Даниэль "эфирныйн" Агорандер

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

DCS: A-10C Warthog FAQ | DCS: P-51D FAQ | Remember to read the Forum Rules |

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Ok, got it fixed!

I installed windows 7 Home 64 student version-

I installed a driver off nvidia that came up automatically when I logged into driver downloads. It seems that the whole driver did not install, but not for sure. I re-downloaded the Nvidia driver manually amd it fixed the blackShark white UI Screen. So, hope this helps others!

Im suffering with the same issue...

Just Installed Windows 7 home premium 64bit on

E6300 @ 2.5GHz

2GB of DDR2 PC6400

Game is clean install with 1.0.1c (installed patch in hope it would fix the problem bit it did not)

Have ATI 1950XTX with 8.56.1.15 ATI drivers (latest ones according to driver update)

Tried the full screen fix above which gave me a full White screen instead of a windowed one :cry:

A little more definition behind white screen..... It is white with sound however all the buttons are there, i.e I can click randomly and hit editor which takes me to the editor screen where not so much of it is blank with some buttons and menu options are displayed.

main pagebuggeddcs1.th.jpg

editorbuggeddcs.th.jpg

Edited by SY_KO

~~~ Win7 64bit // i5 2500K @4.2Ghz // ASUS P8P67 Pro ~~~

~~~ H50 Cooler // 12GB 1600 DDR3 // EVGA GTX580 SC ~~~

~~~ TMW // Combat Pedals // TrackIR 4 ~~~

SY_KO, you are not suffering the same issue. ;)

As has been discovered in the multitude of threads about the ATI x1950, the latest drivers are not a good idea for that card. ;) Basically, ATI decided that drivers that won't handle OpenGL correctly still counted as "supporting" the x1950 and pretty much everyone with such a card has ended up starting a thread in this forum. ;)

1) disable Catalyst AI

if no luck

2) install and use DriverSweeper

3) install Catalyst 8.12

"Latest" driver isn't always the same as "best" driver.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i7 2600K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Sabertooth P67, 8GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1600MHz, ASUS GTX 560Ti DirectCU II 1GB, Samsung 830series 512GB SSD, Corsair AX850w, two BENQ screens and TM HOTAS Warthog

|
| Life of a Game Tester

Thanks and my apologies... I should have looked harder.

I'll give the fix a whirl today.

I have the same problem of loading to white screen.

WinXP64 Pro

GTX 275 with 191.07 (latest)

Is there any particular driver I can try?

To give more info:

After a reboot, the game will load properly, once. However, when trying to actually start a mission, the game locks up at the loading screen. I did manage to load an instant action mission on one occasion, but the screen flickered for a while, and the game eventually crashed.

Then, any further attempt to run the game, I get a white screen, whether fullscreen or not.

Edited by fritzgryphon

To clarify, there are several distinct whitescreen errors. One (common) relates to launcher.exe on ATI graphics cards, where the drivers will be listed as having official support for cards that they, in fact, do not have full support for. In those cases the symptoms would be that the main menu for single-play displays as white or otherwise unusable while the multiplayer interface (which uses dcs.exe and thereby DirectX) functions. That one is solvable through changing driver version and/or disabling Catalyst AI. It is a driver issue and nothing ED can fix.

If you get whitescreens in multiplayer, or after loading a mission in singleplayer (when mission is selected, launcher.exe saves specifications to a temp file, quits to free up memory and calls up dcs.exe which loads that file) it may look the same, but is quite different. Now we are talking about DirectX and from my experience it seems more common on nVidia cards than ATI (but I haven't actually counted). I don't know of an established fix because the issue is rare, but most likely it is a driver issue.

So Fritz, please look at reverting to a previous driver. There's no specific driver version I can recommend because the issue is so rare I've never been able to establish a pattern on driver versions. Verifying that your DirectX libraries are properly installed is also a good idea.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

I have the same problem of loading to white screen.

WinXP64 Pro

GTX 275 with 191.07 (latest)

Is there any particular driver I can try?

To give more info:

After a reboot, the game will load properly, once. However, when trying to actually start a mission, the game locks up at the loading screen. I did manage to load an instant action mission on one occasion, but the screen flickered for a while, and the game eventually crashed.

Then, any further attempt to run the game, I get a white screen, whether fullscreen or not.

We would need to see some more details from your setup, bud;

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=738467&postcount=1

The mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open | The important thing is not to stop questioning

SY_KO, you are not suffering the same issue. ;)

As has been discovered in the multitude of threads about the ATI x1950, the latest drivers are not a good idea for that card. ;) Basically, ATI decided that drivers that won't handle OpenGL correctly still counted as "supporting" the x1950 and pretty much everyone with such a card has ended up starting a thread in this forum. ;)

1) disable Catalyst AI

if no luck

2) install and use DriverSweeper

3) install Catalyst 8.12

"Latest" driver isn't always the same as "best" driver.

White screen problem solved after driver changes as above and re-install of BS....... next problem however, is flickering screen when mousing over any menu buttons etc in full screen mode. In-game play performance is not affected.

Checked AI is off, tried applying full screen from the options menu in game and via options.cfg with NP++ but neither makes any difference.

Any idea's? I have saved my dxdiag and just need to know who it needs sending to for reviewing assuming this is the right course of action?

You can attach DxDiag in your posts.

Flickering screen is odd though. Afraid I don't quite know where to start on that one.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

|
| Life of a Game Tester

White screen problem solved after driver changes as above and re-install of BS....... next problem however, is flickering screen when mousing over any menu buttons etc in full screen mode. In-game play performance is not affected.

Checked AI is off, tried applying full screen from the options menu in game and via options.cfg with NP++ but neither makes any difference.

Any idea's? I have saved my dxdiag and just need to know who it needs sending to for reviewing assuming this is the right course of action?

I had the same flickering when I tested some older Nvidia 182.xx drivers.

OpenGL (menus) are affected by it - DirectX (ingame) isnt.

Latest drivers doesn't cause such issues for me.

But if you can attached the DXDiag file we may be able to spot other hardware/software tidsbits that may cause problems for you - hence, please attach it.

TROUBLESHOOTING - Help us helping you.

The mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open | The important thing is not to stop questioning

I found the solution, installing XP on my second drive just for BS. Went back to 189 drivers.

But even there, the menu text flickers, and sometimes the menu screens blank out to weird colors. And the game can still CTD when ending a mission. It's not a big problem, but come on. This forum is full of the same issues suffered in Lock On. 3 computers so far, and the series has always had problems.

Why is this so hard? Almost everyone uses some midrange Nvidia or ATI card, and new drivers are supposed to be better, not worse. And already 20% of people use Vista or 7.

The IL-2 series runs on a Voodoo 3 in Windows 98 with no glitches or instability. No other game I play had an issue with transition to 7 (except for the one that expressly did not support it). It's not unreasonable to say there is bad programming in DCS. I really hope these things get sorted out in further releases.

Edited by fritzgryphon

Attached below.....

Sorry, unable to spot any conflicting software/hardware with your setup.

Again, EtherealN has been helping a few people with this problem a few times. There's a few topics about it already.

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=44535

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=42723

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=42156

A common factor is the Catalyst AI - and a few x1950.

If I recall correctly a few have experimented with different driver versions and been able to find a version that is somewhat stable for DCS:BS.

8.12 is one of the "stable", I think 9.6 or 9.7 improved some situations for others (not sure whether is was the whiteout/flicker problem).

Hm, here's someone using the 9.2; http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=762702&postcount=7

Someone gave up their x1950; http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=731728&postcount=9

Well - you get the point. It's a bit trial and error with this one :)

I found the solution, installing XP on my second drive just for BS. Went back to 189 drivers..

Glad to hear you found a combination that worked - but I've been using bother 8800gtx and gtx 295 - as well as quite a few driver variants. And only the WHQL certified one's.

Not seen the issues you're talking about unless I use really old drivers (very first generation / beta) for the cards.

It doesn't mean the issue is real - it's just not that common I think.

(For ATI on the other hand - it is quite common with a few boards).

But even there, the menu text flickers, and sometimes the menu screens blank out to weird colors. And the game can still CTD when ending a mission. It's not a big problem, but come on. This forum is full of the same issues suffered in Lock On. 3 computers so far, and the series has always had problems..

It could also mean that it is something with your GPU. Or PSU (powersupply).

Overheating?

Bad O/C? Memory timings?

OS gone bad / driver install's previously gone bad? Previous Virus infection?

There's some more suggestions in the post in this thread; TROUBLESHOOTING - Help us helping you.

So many things - unfortunately it needs to be investigated each time someone complains about it. :)

Trust me - I've seen most of then ;)

Why is this so hard? Almost everyone uses some midrange Nvidia or ATI card, and new drivers are supposed to be better, not worse. And already 20% of people use Vista or 7. .

It's not that hard - "most" have a working combination. There's always exceptions to the rule for obvious reasons. Some of them is meantioned above :)

The IL-2 series runs on a Voodoo 3 in Windows 98 with no glitches or instability. It's not unreasonable to say there is bad programming in DCS. I really hope these things get sorted out in further releases.

Sorry - IL-2/Win98/Voodoo to WinXP/WinVista/Win7/DCS:BS is like comparing apples and oranges.

I can understand your frustration - but it's not possible to compare other combinations like this with DCS:BS.

Well I fixed it..... went out and bought a nVidia card. ATI should sort their legacy product drivers instead of shunning us. Im never buying ATI again, what a pain in the A$$!