Trees with low scenery? Tweaking...

wiwa23

Hello,

I created this topic in the general discussion. However, I thought it might be better placed in the mods and add-ons. After all, I did find a tweaking guide in this section. So here it goes again.

I did fly Lomac and FC1. With FC2 it got my attention once more. I'm glad with what I'm seeing. However, for my system I need to do some tweaking to keep above the 20 FPS. I've always found the Lomac series confusing and hard to tweak.

My question. How do I get the low scenery but still get the trees? I managed to tweak the visibility. But now I want to tweak the scenery files.

I don't wan't much (buldings,trees), but I want everything to be there from a normal distance and without abrupt popups. I manged to do this with all the buildings. But where are my trees? I want them around the fields and on the mountains.

Anybody? Thanks for the help!

Gr,

Wiwa

Hello,

I created this topic in the general discussion. However, I thought it might be better placed in the mods and add-ons. After all, I did find a tweaking guide in this section. So here it goes again.

I did fly Lomac and FC1. With FC2 it got my attention once more. I'm glad with what I'm seeing. However, for my system I need to do some tweaking to keep above the 20 FPS. I've always found the Lomac series confusing and hard to tweak.

My question. How do I get the low scenery but still get the trees? I managed to tweak the visibility. But now I want to tweak the scenery files.

I don't wan't much (buldings,trees), but I want everything to be there from a normal distance and without abrupt popups. I manged to do this with all the buildings. But where are my trees? I want them around the fields and on the mountains.

Anybody? Thanks for the help!

Gr,

Wiwa

Hi, try messing around with the tree setting in /Config/graphics.cfg file:

Low

{

near_clip = 0.2;

middle_clip = 5;

far_clip = 140000;

structures = {30, 2000};

trees = {1000, 3000};

dynamic = {300, 20000};

objects = {3000, 80000};

mirage = {3000, 20000};

surface = {10000, 50000};

lights = {50, 10000};

lodMult = 1;

lodAdd = 100;

You also want to take a look at Frazers tweak guide for KA-50 which applies well to FC 2.0. http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=49434

Just remember to backup your files before tweaking. (I forgot and have no clue what the standard settings are...lol..edit: It´s stated in the guide!)

My moviemaking channel at YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RobertDamli

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I did already read the guide you gave me.

And I was glad at first for a clear explanation but later on it continued to confuse and frustrate me.

The explenation just don't seem right. For instance. Frazers tweak guide for KA-50 says that with structures the first number is for popup for small buildings, while te second is for popup for larger buildings. When I put one or the other at zero, there is no building at all. So there seems to be a relationship between them what makes it hard to understand.

It also says that dynamic means factories, cranes...etc. Well, I put both numbers at zero and I still get to see them. So the cranes, factories are included with the structures(I put mirage at zero as well, so that must be the conclusion).

The same for mirage. While it says that it is for civilian activity. When putting both numbers at zero. I still get to see them. So this also is included in the structures (I put dynamic at zero as well, so that must be the conclusion).

Maybe at has changed with FC2 in comparison with Blakshark? But I remember FC1 and Lomac to be just as vague.

I get rather demotivated because it seems that there just isn't an easy and clear way to tweak Lomac (FC2).

I don't want much scenery. But I just want those damn trees and I want a few buildings. And I want both of them seen from far out, no popups. It is frustrating that I just can't shoose what I want to see. For instance, a few main buildings, few trees, seen from 15 km. I would like to thin out the scenery files and step up the visibility.

A clear and expanded preference screen for visuals would be just the thing FC2 need. There would be no guessing with obscure numbers at the graphic.cfg or the lua files. And anybody with any system could play FC2 at an enjoyable level. Maybe an idea?

However, if someone knows how to achieve all the above, please tell me! Thanks.

Wiwa

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I did already read the guide you gave me.

And I was glad at first for a clear explanation but later on it continued to confuse and frustrate me.

The explenation just don't seem right. For instance. Frazers tweak guide for KA-50 says that with structures the first number is for popup for small buildings, while te second is for popup for larger buildings. When I put one or the other at zero, there is no building at all. So there seems to be a relationship between them what makes it hard to understand.

It also says that dynamic means factories, cranes...etc. Well, I put both numbers at zero and I still get to see them. So the cranes, factories are included with the structures(I put mirage at zero as well, so that must be the conclusion).

The same for mirage. While it says that it is for civilian activity. When putting both numbers at zero. I still get to see them. So this also is included in the structures (I put dynamic at zero as well, so that must be the conclusion).

Maybe at has changed with FC2 in comparison with Blakshark? But I remember FC1 and Lomac to be just as vague.

I get rather demotivated because it seems that there just isn't an easy and clear way to tweak Lomac (FC2).

I don't want much scenery. But I just want those damn trees and I want a few buildings. And I want both of them seen from far out, no popups. It is frustrating that I just can't shoose what I want to see. For instance, a few main buildings, few trees, seen from 15 km. I would like to thin out the scenery files and step up the visibility.

A clear and expanded preference screen for visuals would be just the thing FC2 need. There would be no guessing with obscure numbers at the graphic.cfg or the lua files. And anybody with any system could play FC2 at an enjoyable level. Maybe an idea?

However, if someone knows how to achieve all the above, please tell me! Thanks.

Wiwa

I agree with you on the confusing of the numbers. You just need to experiment and see the results for your self. I tried setting the trees to something like 60 000 and I could see tree down below from an altitude of 30 000 feet! Not very realistic, and it also made FC 2.0 into a slideshow as I saw tree everywhere! Now I see them pop up, but a little farther away than before. Try using 10 000 as max or something and see what it does.

My moviemaking channel at YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RobertDamli

Hi,

Confusing it is. And I'm done tweaking. I'm spending my time tweaking in stead of flying. That can't be right. But it's just addictive. Certainly because it is so frustrating because I know that what I want should be possible.

Just creating less buildings (village or city with less buidings) but with trees. All this with seen from far out. As an extreme example. It should be possible to create a city with just 5 buildings, with trees around the fields/mountains... and to make them visible from say, 20 km.

I'll wait for the clarification. For now I'll stick with what I have and enjoy FC2 for what it is. And you get quite a lot!

Gr,

Wiwa

What you want is possible and has been done (not exactly what you want but same kind of thing) back in LockOn 1.12

Basically there are 3 files for scenery objects which can be edited. I forgot what program is used to extract all the info on coordinates of each and every objects on the map, then you could manually add/remove what you want and have custom scenery file (I think the file extension was SCN and files located in Bazar/Terrain folder, or something similar... I am at work now so I can't check)

It is very tedious process and I would not want to do it myself but if you are so keen you can get it done... do a search on these forums for scenery files and you might find it how to do it.

No longer active in DCS...

Hi Kuky,

Now that's interesting! Thank you for your effort. It is appreciated.

I won't bother to create brand new scenery files. However I will experiment by omitting some buildings out of the high scenery files.

Will Try to get some trees and leave a few buildings. Then I'll crank up the visibility.

Still, if this option would be available in the game preferences the playability would increase a lot for a lot of systems. That's my opninion. You could have buildings and trees seen from a realistic distance without the popups or the fading while maintaining good framerates.

Of I go...

Wiwa

• 10 months later...

wiwa23

could you tell me if you finally get it? I think I'm interested at what you are proposing

Intel i5 11700F + H80 | 4x4GB 3200mhz RAM | AORUS ELITE B560M | Samsung 850 PRO SSD 256gb| KINGSTON SA400 480GB SSD | WD 500GB | Gigabyte GTX 1070 8GB | Antec 1200 PSU | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS and homemade panels and rudder pedals | 24" Samsung T24C550 @60Hz 2ms | Opentrack 3 led clip