Thrustmaster joystick extension, how to do it.

This is another way to do a cheap and reliable extension for the HW or the Cougar. The total cost is around 5 €.

What you need to do it, is a 40mm. PVC pipe straight fitting and a Karcher hose repair connector for 1/2 hoses. This is case sensitive, other brands I've tried hasn't the long neck under the thread that Karcher model already has.

DSC_0180.jpg

First, you must cut the outgoings of the nut to make it more or less cilindrical. Don't cut the reinforcement at the base.

Then, with the point of a cutter knife, do a recess in the interior of one of the ends of the fitting to acommodate the reinforced base of the nut. Insist until the nut fits inside the pipe.

DSC_0182.jpg

Next, with a metal saw, cut the cone on top of the nut. This is to provide more room inside the extension, but not neccesary at all.

Check that the nut fits completely and tight inside the fitting

DSC_0219.jpg

On the male, we need to remove everything except the screw threads using a saw and a drill. A Dremel machine with a milling tool will be useful.

Be careful don't to damage the threads.

Finish the work with a sanding block.

DSC_0338.jpg

DSC_0340.jpg

DSC_0216.jpg

DSC_0341.jpg

The yellow male fits perfect inside the PVC fitting

DSC_0227.jpg

Cut a 3-4 threads ring from one of the yellow males.

This is going to be a stop to limit the maximum screwing of the HW male inside the extension nut. Don't want the extension touches the base of the HW by limiting the travel.

DSC_0221.jpg

p27041121560001.jpg

Now the easy part.

Do a little sanding on the inner of the PVC pipe for a better bonding.

Strongly screw the yellow male to your HW stick. Leave the original cardboard tag ring between the parts to assure a certain margin of error.

Put some cianoacrilate glue inside the pipe, near the top, and vertically on a table, insert the joy with the male in the fitting to the top.

DSC_0343.jpg

Wait two or three minutes to dry making some pressure and be sure the whole thing is vertical.

Then, carefully, unscrew the joystick.

With some quick epoxy glue and a litlle wood stick, reinforce the union by the inside of the pipe.

DSC_0344.jpg

You can do a external reinforcement with epoxy if you want, but is not neccesary.

DSC_0347.jpg

Put some cianoacrilate on the recess inside the other side of the pipe and on the table, insert the black nut in the pipe pressing hard to the top.

DSC_0184.jpg

Now is time to screw the yellow ring cutted before, inside the black nut to be sure that the joystick on max deflection is not touching the base.

When satisfied, glue the ring with a drop of ciano by the upper side of the thread.

Ok, with this you have your extension finished. Do the electrical connection with a PS2 splitter as usual.

This extension is 60mm. long. If you need something longer, you can use a 40 mm. external PVC pipe and two PVC fittings as you can see in this example.

You can see the yellow ring inside the nut too.

DSC_0231.jpg

These two were a present for two scuadron mates ;)

DSC_0358.jpg

And this is my actual one, 80mm long (I've the joystick screwed on the base of my chair cushion). The two fittings have a little 40mm. pipe inside.

DSC_0429.jpg

DSC_0144_zps9d622500.jpg

Ok thats all, I hope that someone may make good use of this tutorial.

Cheers

Edited by Ninefingers
add content
  • Like 1

My TM Warthog DIY extension tutorial

C2Duo E8600 @ 4.4Ghz. | Asus Rampage Formula X48 | MSI GTX 560Ti OC |

8Gb.Corsair DDR2 RAM @ 1103Mhz. | Crucial M4 128Gb. SSD | 850W. PSU |

HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Pedals | TIR 5 | Helios | 24" Monitor/22" Touchscreen

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]