Dogfighting in the F-15C.

Skall

Hi, I am new to this and I hope someone can give me a pointer to start. I am practicing the 1x1 heat seaker with F-15. The fight starts at 29,000ft. I usually prefer to defeat the incoming missile, merge and turn to the opponent. During this turn, I find that the F-15 will easily get into out-of-control mode (spin) if I pull the stick hard. I will have to ease out on the stick, pulling maybe 2-3g to make the turn. Did I miss anything here?

Thanks in advance.

From what I understand, its a bug/innacruate, there was a swimilar thread on about the Limit AOA of the F15s, i'll try to find it.

EDIT : http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=129002&highlight=F15+AoA

and this :

I don't think anyone is arguing what a departure (= loss of control) is :)

If you stall, you've departed controlled flight.

You're not going to depart a high-speed F-15 unless you try really, really hard. You're not going to roll couple it, you're not going to spin it, you're not going to break it.

In case it wasn't clear enough, F-15's have 'relatively often' been over-g'd to 10g and 12g. No departure. Only one F-15 is known to have exceeded that number, and it's a museum piece as posted above. I'm not even sure you can reach anything resembling critical AoA at high speed.

You cannot physically get enough AoA to stall that plane at high speed.

Do those principles include available elevator deflection?

An aircraft isn't just a wing, and we are talking about specific aircraft - the OP mentioned two. I don't know about the F-86, but I know you won't stall an F-15 at high speed just by providing maximum pitch input.

Edited by Ktulu2

Ktulu2, thanks for the quick response. I've read over the thread quickly. I see one of the comment also indicated problem at high altitude. In my case, the game set the starting speed around 300knot, i push to afterburner to gain speed before merge, but at that altitude, I didn't get much. I put nose down, pull the stick to turn; if I pull more than 3g, it will easily get into "departure"; I will have to reduce throttle, release the stick to get the control back. At one time I couldn't get out of the flat spin. Does this sound expected behavior?

Next time I will watch my AOA.