Restoring back up from saved games

Hi, when I go to my saved games folder I now see 2 folders, I DCS folder and a DCSd folder. Why are there 2?

Secondly whats the correct procedure for restoring the backed up files after an update

Thanks guys

edit

I think Im looking in the wrong place for a back up folder. Where is exactly would it be? the last update set my controls back to default

Edited by cheap charlie

For control settings, you need to go to your "saved games" folder, and you'll find a mirror of the input folder that resides in the main DCS World folder.

VERY IMPORTANT Be aware that there may have been changes made by the update affecting the inputs that caused the changes you have noticed, so overwriting the new folder with a backup may cause issues, so keep the newly updated one, and restore that if you do get problems.

Usually, however the saved games directory shouldn't be affected by the updates, which is why it is stored separately.

But having said all that, all you need to do is drop the backed up inputs folder into the saved games DCS folder, overwriting the ones already there, and it should revert to what you had before the update.

A more wise solution is to go into the options and re-establish your key mapping there. It will rule out any incompatibility issues introduced by the update.

Hi, when I go to my saved games folder I now see 2 folders, I DCS folder and a DCSd folder. Why are there 2?

Secondly whats the correct procedure for restoring the backed up files after an update

Thanks guys

edit

I think Im looking in the wrong place for a back up folder. Where is exactly would it be? the last update set my controls back to default

There are 2 places where your files are:

- your DCS install folder (e.g. C:\DCS World\)

- your saved games directory (i.e. ...\Saved Games\DCS

What is in your game folder that was modified by you will backed up by the DCS updater when you run an update, in folder _backup.xxx (where xxx is a number), e.g. C:\DCS World\_backup.000.

So, the correct procedure after an update is to look inside the latest DCS World\_backup.xxx folder and recover your modified files here (since the updated files might be modified too it's a good idea to re-apply your changes manually with a text editor or use a diff tool).

Everything that is in your Saved Games\DCS folder is not backed up automatically (I've never heard of DCS creating a DCSd folder, so you might have created it yourself).

This folder is also regenerated automatically by DCS when it doesn't exist.

The controls are stored by DCS inside the Saved Games folder (among other things).

So, it looks like your Saved Games\DCS folder was accidentaly renamed to DCSd, most likely your control settings are in there.

Try this:

- Make a copy of ...\Saved Games\DCSd (just in case)

- Rename ...\Saved Games\DCS to ...\Saved Games\DCS.old (or whatever suits you)

- Rename ...\Saved Games\DCSd to ...\Saved Games\DCS

Edited by PiedDroit
Highlight answers to original questions