engine restart after shutdown?

Guest deeplodokus

Guest deeplodokus

Hi,

I'm having an issue with engine restart after a shutdown. I don't have a problem turning on the engine from cold start though.

What I'm doing:

- I'm flying and I go land somewhere.

- Once on the ground I turn off the engine (Rshift-End or small round brown button underneath the throttle) and I reset all that is relevant to engine startup to off: the 4 battery switches, the EP switch, the 2 pumps on the startup panel, the "pompe dem" I make sure is off as well.

- I do the startup procedure: turn on the 2 fuel pumps, turn on the "pompe dem", turn on the 1st battery switch, push the demarreur button, engine RPM goes up, give a bit of gas to go past RPM 10-11, turn on the 2nd battery switch, around 20 I turn on the last 2 battery switches, around 40 I turn on the EP... Until now, all good. Except that around RPM 55 or so, instead of continuing going up, RPMs just start going down until 0, unless i push the throttle all the way in which case RPMs don't go down but don't go up either.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

Edited by deeplodokus

Guest deeplodokus

I get the same issue whether or not I use the VENT switch to the left or G or D.

I get the same problem if I take the "cold start" instant mission, start up the engine, shut it down then try to restart.

Guest deeplodokus

Not sure what you mean, "lock". Is there a special throttle button/command? Thing is, first time I cold start, it works just fine, regardless of throttle position.

You can power up engine, then shut down engine, then re-start engine without problem?

Guest deeplodokus

I just did some more tests. I am confident that after a cold start, I shut down the engine and turn EVERYTHING back to how it was at the time of the cold start (things that *I* switched anyway).

At the second start, I can sometimes manage to get the engine running, but it will go dead instantly if I pull the throttle back to no gas. I really don't understand what I'm doing wrong. I'm thinking that perhaps the engine shut down button is triggering some other switch somewhere that needs to be modified before another start up?

Anyway, my situation is problematic, because if I land to refuel/rearm/repair, as it is now, I can't re-start the engine :/

Am I really the only one with this problem? :(

We'll check, but you shouldn't have problems in restarting.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning."

"The three most dangerous things in the world are a programmer with a soldering iron, a hardware type with a program patch and a user with an idea."

Guest deeplodokus

Honestly, I don't know what's happening. At times I'm having the issue, at times not. I'm pretty sure the problem comes from me, but I haven't identified yet what I've been occasionally doing wrong! But well if other people can check just to make sure... Thanks!

throttle seems to be placed below idle when ramp start, after you've moved your throtle to idle position you can't pull it back again. Must be à key combo maybe to return throttle below idle

L'important n'est pas de tuer, mais de survivre.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

if you read this you are too curious

I just started and stopped it several times with no trouble. DO NOT move the throttle after you hit the engine stop button while the engine is spooling down, it will go forward out of cutoff and the N1 will not drop to zero and the throttle will not move back to the cutoff position anymore, and it will not respond to any attempts to restart it.

Intel 9600K@4.9GHz, Asus Z390, 32GB DDR4, EVGA RTX 3070, Custom Water Cooling, 970 EVO 1TB NVMe

34" UltraWide 3440x1440 Curved Monitor, 21" Touch Screen MFD monitor, TIR5

My Pit Build, VKB Gunfighter Pro w/WH Grip, TMWH Throttle, MFG Crosswinds W/Combat Pedals, Cougar MFDs, Custom A-10C panels, Custom Helo Collective, SimShaker with Transducer

What I experienced was after hitting the engine shutdown button, the throttle moved all the way back and the engine shut off. When I restarted the engine, after moving the throttle forward a little so that the engine spools up, the aircraft allows you to pull the throttle all the way back past the idle position and shut down the engine again without hitting the stop engine button. It's possible to restart the engine and keep it running as long as you do not pull the throttle back all the way, but as soon as you pull the throttle back it will go past the idle stop and shut down.

Guest deeplodokus
What I experienced was after hitting the engine shutdown button, the throttle moved all the way back and the engine shut off. When I restarted the engine, after moving the throttle forward a little so that the engine spools up, the aircraft allows you to pull the throttle all the way back past the idle position and shut down the engine again without hitting the stop engine button. It's possible to restart the engine and keep it running as long as you do not pull the throttle back all the way, but as soon as you pull the throttle back it will go past the idle stop and shut down.

This is what I think is happening indeed. Sounds like a bug? Because when starting up first time, idle stop is in place; but after power off then restart, idle stop is not in place anymore.

Thanks.

Again, I have no such issues with restarts, throttle does not move back into the cutoff without hitting the button, for me. Perhaps you guys aren't pushing it forward far enough when you start or something?

Intel 9600K@4.9GHz, Asus Z390, 32GB DDR4, EVGA RTX 3070, Custom Water Cooling, 970 EVO 1TB NVMe

My Pit Build, VKB Gunfighter Pro w/WH Grip, TMWH Throttle, MFG Crosswinds W/Combat Pedals, Cougar MFDs, Custom A-10C panels, Custom Helo Collective, SimShaker with Transducer

Same issue for me. Cold starts fine. RTB for gas and bullets. Shut down. Finish. On the restart, as soon as the engine start light goes out and I pull the thrust lever back, it shuts down.

Why are you pulling the throttle back so late? Push it forward to start the engine then pull it back.

You also don't need to shut down to refuel or rearm, only repairing.

Still no issues on my end. I also don't bother with the vent switch, I turn the battery on and start the engine, this is in 2.0.

Guest deeplodokus
Still no issues on my end. I also don't bother with the vent switch, I turn the battery on and start the engine, this is in 2.0.

can you definitely move the throttle all the way in (physically) and go idle, and not have an engine shutdown, when you have used the shutdown button previously in the same flight session?

do you have curves for your throttle (in-game or firmware or driver) that reduce the range (i.e. throttle value goes from 10%-100% instead of 0%-100%)?

Edited by deeplodokus

can you definitely move the throttle all the way in (physically) and go idle, and not have an engine shutdown, when you have used the shutdown button previously in the same flight session?

do you have curves for your throttle (in-game or firmware or driver) that reduce the range (i.e. throttle value goes from 10%-100% instead of 0%-100%)?

Yes, I've done multiple shutdowns in a session. No curves of any kind. The only problem I ran into was moving the throttle forward during shutdown would cause it to "lock up". I hit the start button, when N1 stops at 11% I move the throttle forward about half way then pull it all the way back, works every time.

There is a thrust left and right mapping as well as the single thrust mapping, is the problem that you guys are mapping the wrong thrust axis?

Guest deeplodokus
Yes, I've done multiple shutdowns in a session. No curves of any kind. The only problem I ran into was moving the throttle forward during shutdown would cause it to "lock up". I hit the start button, when N1 stops at 11% I move the throttle forward about half way then pull it all the way back, works every time.

There is a thrust left and right mapping as well as the single thrust mapping, is the problem that you guys are mapping the wrong thrust axis?

thanks for trying! my thrust is mapped to "thrust", not "thrust left" or "thrust right". no curve on throttle axis either. this is on 1.5. i've had the "lockup" situation as well but can't recall exactly how, i can post again in a few days once i have access to my computer again!