AI pilot flying - or just lucky?

On a recent multiplayer session on the Open Conflict server, I switched to an Mi-8 for some crate-hauling fun, but on being put into the cockpit, the helicopter immediately took off to a height of a couple of hundred feet, and then just hovered, with a slight drift to starboard, for over 2 minutes, while I set my HOTAS axes in the control configs UI.

Once I took over, the helicopter immediately sank to the deck and crashed. It gave the impression of VRS, but maybe my collective state just wasn't recognised?

In any case, I'm quite sure that the message we had been shot down was not correct.

AI pilot in control or just luck?

I'm thinking the latter - would be cool if the pilot could take over whilst you adjust stuff, though :)

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like VRS.

It definitely recognized your collective input, as the rotor pitch gauge was moving.

It looks like you didn't do sufficient action to recover.

Push the nose down and gain forward momentum to recover from VRS, you can't always recover while hovering.