How to Ambush AI Fighters

rockaneado

Hi, I just wanted to know two things actually

1. What do pilots do in real life when they get vectored to a threat? Do they try to not get detected and maneuver to a more advantageous position like on their flanks, or do they just go and fight head to head like we do in single player missions? Here, I'm not talking about BVR maneuvers but actual positioning before the fight begins.

2. Since I only play single player, I wanted to know how to ambush or flank the AI fighters without them knowing about it. As of now they detect me and head straight towards me no matter if they don't have AWACS or ground radars, I turn off my radars, etc. Am I doing something wrong or is this just how the DCS AI works?

Btw, I have posted a few threads here and people are really helpful unlike most of the internet. So cheers!

I've managed to sneak up on a flight of AI A10s once by using the terrain and getting around behind them. As for coming up against AI fighters, they just head straight for me.

Would love to know the answer to this too. I'm just guessing here but I think the AI's behaviour really depends on the task they have been assigned in the mission. If they are tasked to intercept you they'll do exactly that. In the mean time have a go using ground cover to get into a better position.

Not sure what military pilots do. I've known a few strike pilots over the years and they talked about pushing at the target from various directions trying to get enemy defenders to commit to them while another flight attacked the target. Other times they talked about flying in very tight formations and at speeds which mimicked commercial traffic to fool radar operators into thinking their formation was a single large aircraft. Once they got within a distance to target where the enemy response would be difficult, they would break up, speed up and attack. None of that helps against AI though I suppose.

Hi, I just wanted to know two things actually

1. What do pilots do in real life when they get vectored to a threat? Do they try to not get detected and maneuver to a more advantageous position like on their flanks, or do they just go and fight head to head like we do in single player missions? Here, I'm not talking about BVR maneuvers but actual positioning before the fight begins.

That would vary. Intelligence available before hand might suggest where to position the flight to allow for a surprise attack. If there is AWACS support, it would do more than just give enemy locations like it does in game, it would vector and manage friendly aircraft.

2. Since I only play single player, I wanted to know how to ambush or flank the AI fighters without them knowing about it. As of now they detect me and head straight towards me no matter if they don't have AWACS or ground radars, I turn off my radars, etc. Am I doing something wrong or is this just how the DCS AI works?

DCS AI is not all seeing (unless this is forced on with special options), but they are "perfect" at using sensors. If you're detected for a split second at such a position that they decide to engage you, your position is known to them until they die or disengage on their own. You need to complete avoid being detected if you want to sneak up on them, but it is possible.

Terrain masking works as mentioned. If you're fighting something with a RWR, you need to keep your radar off until you're ready to shoot. You can use wingman commands, mission tasks in the mission editor, and F10 commands setup in the mission editor to bait enemy aircraft as well (ie have your wingmen/another flight fly one way and you fly another).

Btw, I have posted a few threads here and people are really helpful unlike most of the internet. So cheers!

Glad to see you've found it nice here.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply man. I guess I have to go low and use terrain to whenever possible cuz than seems like the best option with good chance of success. That leads me to a quick question, whenever enemy flankers attack me they climb to 35000 feet to engage. Therefore if I want to fight head on I must climb to them but I'm finding quite hard to find kill range for my slammers. I know that it is around 10 miles at 20000ft and below while keeping your plane at high speeds but after lots of missile jousting I still can't find a good range.