HARM SP vs TOO mode

Hog_No32

Hi all,

studying the various HARM modes I am wondering what the benefits and use cases of the TOO (Target of Opportunity) mode could be.

As far as I understand the TOO mode (also called HAS "HARM as sensor") allows you to engage any emitter which the missile - while still on the rail - can see. Needless to say the HARM sensor has a very limited FOV.

The SP mode in my understanding is exactly the same, just that you are not limited to the narrow missile seeker's FOV but you can select any emitter that your RWR can see (360° coverage).

Flight profile wise both modes are the same, in either case the missile flies a shallow dive directly towards the target. Both are range-unknown modes and accordingly Lock-on-before-launch modes. The maximum engagement range is therefore purely a function of release altitude and speed.

So what is the TOO mode really good for when you have the SP mode? Only case I could think of would be a failure of the RWR, but I doubt that was the sole idea behind the TOO mode.

Using TOO in "target rich enviroment" when you have multiple radars picking you up allows you to select your desired target more easily. You are selecting targets on the DDI, instead of switching between targets on cluttered HUD. You also get better sense of the direction where the target is.

You won't notice much of a difference in some simple mission with 2 or 3 SAM sites but in big scale scenario the SP would be nearly impossible to use efficiently.

edit: also iirc TOO has some filter options so eg it won't show ships or it will only show ships etc.

Edited by EPSNtheGATOR

IIRC HARMs are mounted with special pilons at Hornets, which are used as sensor comparable to the Viper's HTS.

In this case, I think you'll have better FOV, distance, ect than only using HARM's sensor itself when you're on TOO mode.

IIRC HARMs are mounted with special pilons at Hornets, which are used as sensor comparable to the Viper's HTS.

In this case, I think you'll have better FOV, distance, ect than only using HARM's sensor itself when you're on TOO mode.

HARM itself is the only sensor in TOO and it is in no way anywhere near the HTS.

Edited by EPSNtheGATOR

Hornet's equivalent to Viper's HTS would be TAS (Target Acquisition System) but I believe that never made it out of tests

edit: Edit: "@EPSNtheGATOR at SP mode, RWR is the sensor I think." oh ofcourse, I originally typed something different and when I changed it I forgot to remove SP. RWR receives the signals and hands it to the HARM. Thanks, corrected

Edited by EPSNtheGATOR

Using TOO in "target rich enviroment" when you have multiple radars picking you up allows you to select your desired target more easily. You are selecting targets on the DDI, instead of switching between targets on cluttered HUD. You also get better sense of the direction where the target is.

You won't notice much of a difference in some simple mission with 2 or 3 SAM sites but in big scale scenario the SP would be nearly impossible to use efficiently.

edit: also iirc TOO has some filter options so eg it won't show ships or it will only show ships etc.

That makes sense, thank you!

Indeed in my selfmade missions I get along fine using the HUD to select and engage emitters in SP mode. There are quite a couple SAMs and EWR in those missions but most exercise a tight EMCON so I don't "see" them all at the same time. But in a more dense environment I think I now understand why TOO could be advantageous over SP. Again, thank you!

HARM itself is the only sensor in TOO and it is in no way anywhere near the HTS.

edit: actually just remembered that in TOO you can get also get couple of targets handed off by RWR as well if there are targets outside of HARM's FOV. They are displayed by the edges of the HARM screen. So to clarify - HARM is the main sensor in TOO but TOO is nowhere near the HTS. It can not get range data for example

That makes sense, thank you!

Indeed in my selfmade missions I get along fine using the HUD to select and engage emitters in SP mode. There are quite a couple SAMs and EWR in those missions but most exercise a tight EMCON so I don't "see" them all at the same time. But in a more dense environment I think I now understand why TOO could be advantageous over SP. Again, thank you!

Are you using the 'offset' RWR button? That'll space out the returns to allow you to pick them out.

Are you using the 'offset' RWR button? That'll space out the returns to allow you to pick them out.

Yes, I sometimes use it when two emitters are too closely spaced to allow for discrimination. For example my target is an SA-6 site which provides cover for a closeby Silkworm site. The Silkworm radar and the SA-6 radar are too close to see which one is boxed and selected. The OFFSET button works like a charm. You can find it below the AMPCD and behind the stick in the same row of buttons where the EW ON button is.