Budget video card upgrade

Hello everyone.

I've currently got a pretty mediocre system all around and I'd like to upgrade my video card. My system is as follows:

AMD 3800+ 2.0 Ghz Dual Core Processor

1.5 GB RAM

NVidia GeForce 7600 GT

To obtain smooth frame rates in Flaming Cliffs, I have to run all of the settings pretty low. I'd like to buy a new video card that will allow me to bump the settings up a little bit and still run smoothly, particularly being able to change haze to advanced and have some AA and not have slowdown. My budget for the card is about $200.

Any suggestions?:pilotfly:

EDIT: No longer looking for vid card, see posts below.

I've never bought and installed a processor before. Is it hard? If it's not, any suggestions on processors?

I forgot to mention that I'm looking for PCI Express vid cards. I looked up the 8800 GTS on E-bay and some stores are selling them for $300 new. That might be doable for me.

Ah, sounds good. I think I might just go ahead and replace the processor.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103773

AMD 6000+ (3 Ghz) for $150. Would that work well for FC and other games?

Also, any chance you could direct me to an online tutorial of sorts that goes over replacing a processor? I don't wanna screw anything up. :P

If you can wait another month, 2 monster mid-range cards (~$US 250) are coming out. The AMD version is probably going to be called X2950Pro, and the NVidia version is likely to be designated 8800GT. Results from preliminary tests showed that these cards perform better than a 8800GTS. I for one am looking forward to upgrading next month.

Competition between AMD and NVidia is good for the consumers!

Intel Xeon E5-1650 v2

ASUS Sabertooth X79

4 x 4GB Crucial Ballistix VLP PC3-12800

ASUS Cerberus GTX 1070 Ti 8 Gb

Seasonic Platinum 860W

Thrustmaster Cougar Uber II Nxt

CH Products PT/TQ/MFP

Slaw Pedals

TrackIR 5

Well, looking at prices and knowing that LO is more CPU-intensive, I think I'm going to be better off upgrading the processor instead of the video card right now. Perhaps I should edit my thread title, lol.

Anyone have experience with that processor? The reviews seem to indicate it's great bang-for-the-buck.