F10 Map issues, WMR/SteamVR

robgraham

For a long while now this has been happening, it seemed to solve itself out for a while and be good only to return again in the last few updates, and looking at the other 'bug' report here about the F10 map I wonder if the issues aren't related but I've made a NEW thread because that was for te Occulus while this is for WMR/SteamVR.

Quite often if you've been in game for a while especially on MULTIPLAYER, hitting F10 will basically lock up your VR headset as DCS stops talking correctly with SteamVR, this results in one of 3 things happening.

1. A blue screen and then a black screen on your headset and when you lift it you can see on the SteamVR message box 'An issue has occured please restart your headset'

2. the image pausing and never actually picking back up if you look on the screen your HMD's movements will still MOVE DCS but again steamvr will be reporting an issue.

3. Stuttering / suddenly extremely low performance like what is reported by those with the rift.

Now the interesting thing here is that WMR tells us that it's NOT an issue with the headset so it's not FIRMWARE related, it's an issue with DCS, specifically it's output to the hooks that are waiting for information from it aka OpenVR, basically during certain moments DCS is hanging long enough or sending garbled data that openVR reports a timeout that it couldn't recover from, this results in this case with SteamVR wanting a reset because the HMD couldn't do a refresh correctly or steamvr didn't respond correctly or something (despite it working perfectly fine and you can tell it is because the WMR cliff house etc is working correctly and SteamVR CAN NOT reboot a WMR headset unlike a vive).

The issue though of course is by 'Resetting' steamvr you KILL DCS, it doesn't allow for a VR headset to disconnect and reconnect.

I know I'm not the only WMR user to have this issue or the only VR person either, over 3/4th of my Sqn/group fly in VR in a mix of things from the HP Gen 1 WMR headset - the Reverb - Vive - OR products and EVERY one of them has reported issues when hitting F10 at some point or another, to the point that if we've been in game for longer then 20 minutes we at times don't want to press the damned button.

The only extra things I can add is that it appears to be SteamVr version independent as far as I can tell, I'm running latest OpenBeta, but if Rift users are reporting issues then it's NOT SteamVR as rift users don't have to use SteamVr I thought?

Anyway just reporting. And yes @Nineline, @Newy I'll 'try' and find logs for you when this happens next time I didn't think last night to save them out in part because when this happens tend to be in a middle of a @#$@ gaming session and all I want to do is restart and get back into the game.

But lets be clear it's not a 'resource' issue, my system is more then powerful enough to handle VR and then some.

-Rob.

i7 13700k, 64gb DDR5, Warthog HOTAS, HP Reverb G2 VR, win 11, RTX 3070

TGW Dedicated Server Admin, Australian PVE/PVP gameplay. (taskgroupwarrior.info/2020)