F18 and JTAC

Bluecat

Where do I go to learn more about JTAC and how to use it? It's referred to in a lot of videos, as if we already understand what it is and how it works in DCS. But it's never really explained that I can tell.

I apologize in advance for my extreme ignorance.

Thanks for any help.

Where do I go to learn more about JTAC and how to use it? It's referred to in a lot of videos, as if we already understand what it is and how it works in DCS. But it's never really explained that I can tell.

I apologize in advance for my extreme ignorance.

Thanks for any help.

JTAC is a friendly unit, ground or air based, that is able to communicate battlefield situational awareness to other units.

When a JTAC is operating, you will get a notification (either audible or text based) indicating that a target is being lazed (or can be giving coordinates without lazing).

In the F/A-18C, with the FLIR display as SOI, you can depress the LSS OSB pushbutton (bottom row of DDI and typically has 1688 displayed directly below LSS). That number is the laser code the FLIR will search for. You typically need to be within 15 NM of the active laser to be able to detect it, and have the FLIR (tpod) looking close proximity to where the laser is active). The gate (or crosshairs) will close onto said target on positive laser capture has been achieved.

At 19:05 of the linked video - you can see what happens when using LSS. In the video, Cap and RC had a little issue attempting this, you can back up a few minutes to see them setting up if you would like.

Cheers,

Don (callsign Ziptie)

Edited by Ziptie
Video Link

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

The attached photo shows capture of a “buddy laze” or JTAC laze” with the appropriate OSB button (LSS selected).

Cheers,

Don (callsign Ziptie)

0873CB64-5644-4A91-AC13-DA0EAEB6A775.thumb.jpg.35fada766c18f14f959dd171a58db088.jpg

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria