getSurfaceType error for Runways on Normandy Map

sigmet

I am working on a mission that identifies the end of the runway. I have noticed that land.getSurfaceType() returns the surface type as 5 (a runway) for a long way past the end of runways on the Normandy Map. I have posted a simple mission below that demonstrates this behavior.

When you run the normandy_error.miz you will see that zone 2 returns the surface as runway. The mission returns Zone 3 as not a runway. However, if you move zone 3 to inside the circle that surrounds the airfiled. On the runway heading it will return as a runway. That circle seems to be the cutoff point at least on Carpiquet airfiled.

This behavior is not the case on the Caucasus map which returns the surfaces correctly.

Is this a bug?

normandyerror.png.16569b49086c4ee1753bb0c120b3a517.png

normandy_error.miz

caucauses_error.miz

• 2 months later...

I was having a similar problem on Caucasus. Spawning onto a taxiway or parking spot gave me an enumerator=5 for runway. Did you ever figure out how it works? Any way to identify taxiway differently than a runway other than using polygon zones?

My DCS Missions: Band of Buds series | The End of the T-55 Era | Normandy PvP | Host of the Formation Flight Challenge server

Supercarrier Reference Kneeboards

IRL: Private Pilot, UAS Test Pilot, Aircraft Designer, and... eh hem... DCS Enthusiast

Hi GTFreeFlyer, The getSurfaceType() function returns 5 for any paved surface of the airport environment on the Caucasus map. On the Normandy map, 5 is returned anywhere inside the airport environment paved, grass, dirt, etc and for a good distance on the runway heading past the end.

I submitted this Normandy map problem as a bug, but never heard back and appears to still be broken. Not sure if Caucasus is a bug or bad design.

Maybe you could use the get getParking function and compare your current distance against the returned table values of fDistToRW . The fDistToRW value is the distance to the active runways from the table of returned parking spaces. So if you change the wind direction of your mission, the active runway spot will change on some airfields. I also believe the spot isn't right in the center of the active runway. Its off to one side and near where the takeoff spawn happens. Which on some airports isn't at the end of the runway.

Edited by sigmet
missing words

Thanks. I got it working with mist.pointInPolygon. I just defined the 4 corners of the runway and now simply detect when the aircraft is within those 4 corners.

My DCS Missions: Band of Buds series | The End of the T-55 Era | Normandy PvP | Host of the Formation Flight Challenge server

Supercarrier Reference Kneeboards

IRL: Private Pilot, UAS Test Pilot, Aircraft Designer, and... eh hem... DCS Enthusiast