Finding specific 3D objects on DCS maps

Viktor_UHPK

Hi everyone!

I'm helping Flappy to create a detailed "aviation style" map of Caucasus area. We're collecting "landmark" data at the moment. Lighthouses, aerials etc.

Does someone have an idea how to find specific 3D objects (such as a lighthouse) on the map (in game)? That would help make the process much faster.

Greetings,

Viktor

My cyclic stick - modded MS FFB2 and

My Mi-8 training videos

You could produce a list of scenery objects with scripting by model name. The problem is, you wont know what the model name actually is, it will only be interesting if its uncommon. Some are obvious. Like "HANGAR_A". Or similar.

The other, bigger problem is it does tax DCS as there are millions, especially on NTTR and PG where you get objects as small and insignificant as sections of fencing and fire extinguishers, bins and cars. if you want to do specific areas, and i can only work out circles because i'm a bit of an idiot at scripting. I think one of my signatures has some scripting related code, but its not exactly what you want and to produce something that scans an entire country efficiently isnt something im invested enough to do for anyone.

Try first usign my scenery tools and the map in satellite mode to mark things that look like they might be interesting, then get to know the model names. If you find example sof each of the interesting things, like Roki tunnel entrances and unique objects, you can start to use an area search and output to file and look at the models. You can work backwards from there to scane for specific models. Sorry I can't help more but that's how I woudl do it.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

Hi Pikey,

thank you for the input! I'm a complete idiot when it comes to scripting and I don't know much about the DCS object / scenery system. Do I understand correctly: If I know a the name of a 3D object (e.g. lighthouse) then there is a possibility to have a script search for it and output coordinates?

Greetings,

Viktor

My cyclic stick - modded MS FFB2 and

My Mi-8 training videos

Not how I think you are thinking. You can't search by name, nope. You can only search an area and have it return a bunch of names, from which you could work on and filter, but its all ugly and not designed for this. And without scripting you are up s&&t creek without a paddle for this.

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *