Can't lock Aim-9M

Gavski1

As title, right on the bandit 6, growling tone, in boresight mode - but uncage wont lock up at all? am I doing something wrong? switching to ACM will give radar lock fine but this won't happen in boresight mode??

FC3, F86 Sabre, Mig 21Bis, A10C, C-101, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A18-C Hornet, UH1-H Huey, AV8-N/A Harrier, Mirage 2000c, Spitfire MKix, Me BF109 K-4, Tornado GR4 (one day).

So I'm understanding you right: You're in boresight mode with the AIM-9M. You put the circle on the bandit and hear tone. At this point, if you press and hold uncage for a second or two, what should happen is the circle will become 'glued' to the bandit if it moves around your HUD as the seeker head follows the heat source. You can fire the AIM-9M as soon as you hear the tone, whether it's uncaged or not, but uncaging is best practice to ensure the seeker head won't lose the heat source as soon as the bandit moves away from boresight.

Uncaging will not command a radar lock, I'm not clear if that's what you are expecting or not.

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

So I'm understanding you right: You're in boresight mode with the AIM-9M. You put the circle on the bandit and hear tone. At this point, if you press and hold uncage for a second or two, what should happen is the circle will become 'glued' to the bandit if it moves around your HUD as the seeker head follows the heat source. You can fire the AIM-9M as soon as you hear the tone, whether it's uncaged or not, but uncaging is best practice to ensure the seeker head won't lose the heat source as soon as the bandit moves away from boresight.

Uncaging will not command a radar lock, I'm not clear if that's what you are expecting or not.

Yes thats it. I'm not expecting a radar lock but I am expecting a seeker head lock with high pitch tone - I can still fire the missile and if I give some lead it will still 'down' the target (sometimes). I have looked at some vids and uncaging will lock the target and follow it round in the hud, this is not happening for me? (I have checked cage/uncage binding).

FC3, F86 Sabre, Mig 21Bis, A10C, C-101, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A18-C Hornet, UH1-H Huey, AV8-N/A Harrier, Mirage 2000c, Spitfire MKix, Me BF109 K-4, Tornado GR4 (one day).

Yes thats it. I'm not expecting a radar lock but I am expecting a seeker head lock with high pitch tone - I can still fire the missile and if I give some lead it will still 'down' the target (sometimes). I have looked at some vids and uncaging will lock the target and follow it round in the hud, this is not happening for me? (I have checked cage/uncage binding).

Make sure you hold down the Uncage button with the boresight over the target, then try pulling a little lead and verify the seeker is following the target. It sometimes takes a second of holding it down, won't work on a single press.

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

Make sure you hold down the Uncage button with the boresight over the target, then try pulling a little lead and verify the seeker is following the target. It sometimes takes a second of holding it down, won't work on a single press.

This was my problem - I've only recently got into AA and it works fine flying behind a passive enemy but much trickier behind one that is manovering all over the place and difficult to get a lock, I have now managed to a couple of times, so it's working fine; pilot error as usual, Cheers for the help.