how can i sink a cruiser or destroyer with AGM 84D without harpoon being shooting down ?

flankerjun

24 minutes ago, Northstar98 said:

Though it should also be said that most ships (all of them?) were hit by missiles they either didn't see them coming or otherwise didn't react, in DCS that can be approximated with triggers, but I'm fairly sure AI RADARs in DCS are pretty simplified and don't take into account things like clutter - though I might be mistaken (not that this would effect more modern vessels).

In every case that I have read about, the fault was with very old equipment that wasn't terribly capable and thus had poor reaction times; part two was 'horizon watch' being somewhat lax, part three more modern but either not well maintained equipment or just lax discipline - none of those were anti-air volcanos.

And don't forget, with Aegis ships, before the ESSM and RIM-174A Standard ERAM (both missiles have a terminal ARH mode, but we don't have either of them) the maximum simultaneous firing channels is loosely determined by how many SPG-62 RADARs present;

That's the maximum simultaneous terminal guidance channels.   You could have close to 20 birds in the air, switching targets as required.  SM-2s featured a data-link which received information from the SPY radar and was eventually turned over to the STIR for terminal.

The advantage with how Aegis is set-up, is that it can rapidly engage multiple targets, as it only needs the SPG-62s in the terminal stage, but there's a limit there of how many missiles can be actively guided in the terminal stage.

Right, but the timing for the use of a STIR is very short as well and the math will work out.  Even including double shots at a target, you have time to deal with a 20 missile attack.   Nothing is guaranteed of course, but then we have to consider close in capabilities and having more than one ship in the mix.

You do better still if you have any sort of airborne EWR at all - just a radar a heli would work fine.  Obviously the whole system has a lot of parts and missing any one makes it somehow weaker.

Edited by GGTharos

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda