RTX 3080 in Australia

Mod's please remove if not appropriate, 

I am not affiliated with this company, but given the global shortage of RTX 3070/3080 I thought I would share my experience in Australia and the people that built my rig.  PCByte in Sydney are doing Build to Order PC's including a 3070/3080/3090 box.  You can purchase Upgrades like more RAM or a better processor and get a refund on the difference. I note the price has gone up recently from what I got.  

I went with the Assassin but did a few mods noticeably an onsale CPU and more RAM.  I got an additional NVMe on sale elsewhere. From Order to pick up was 8 days. The build seems quite solid. I love the Case. Im not a fan of flashy Lights but they can be tuned down easily enough.  I have overclocked to 5.0Ghz with no issues so far, but wish I went with a bigger cooler for the i9 to hit 5.3 without worrying. 

I'm not aiming to promote these guys, Im not on the payroll and everytime I went in there I got stuck behind some lady trying to buy consumer goods but I feel obliged to call out to my fellow aussie's a mechanism to get a 3080. The added cost of build to get a 3080 in 8 days without having to sell a kidney or roll a bitcoin miner in a dark alley seems reasonable over doing it myself and wondering if the GPU and PSU airflow will interfere with each other like my last build.  I purchased the 32GB as a sale item and then the second 32GB as a second purchase from them, they are a little spotty on updating status I ended up calling them to chase a pick up for both orders but it did go through ok. 

Hope this helps someone else sick of watching 'Out of Stock' Status items on the big stores. For all my research this was the only company I found willing to commit to giving me a 3080, even my usual Aussie favourite promised Rigs significantly more expensive without a proper eta. 

• Like 1

Hornet, Super Carrier, Warthog & (II), Mustang, Spitfire, Albatross, Sabre, Combined Arms, FC3, Nevada, Gulf, Normandy, Syria AH-6J

i9 10900K @ 5.0GHz, Gigabyte Z490 Vision G, Cooler Master ML120L, Gigabyte RTX3080 OC Gaming 10Gb, 64GB RAM, Reverb G2 @ 2480x2428, TM Warthog, Saitek pedals & throttle, DIY collective, TrackIR4, Cougar MFDs, vx3276-2k

Combat Wombat's Airfield & Enroute Maps and Planning Tools

cw1.png

I understand!

In order for me to enjoy DCS the way I wanted to I had to replace my 10yr old custom built system.  I thought I would wait for things to settle down(price\availability) and build my new system with 2020\2021 parts.  But from reading the news and also paying attention to what was not being said, I figured that this situation is going to last longer than I wanted to wait. 

So I started looking at companies that build gaming computers.  I found many that had the CPU\GPU combo I wanted but would cost considerably more than if I built it myself.

But they had the parts and I did not.

So I had to make a decision:  spend more money now and get what I want or wait (for who knows how long) to save 500-1500 dollars. 

Now, just so you know, age had a say in this decision!  Statistically, I only have about 25 years left to live. 

Knowing that, I asked myself this question - am I okay with wasting 6 months or a year of my last 25yrs just to save a 1000 dollars?

Time vs. Money.     hmmmmm, I can always make money, I can't make time.  

So I bought a gaming computer from a US company.  It took 3 weeks but that's a lot better than 6months or a year! hehe.

And I got the AMD 5800x \ RTX 3080 combo I wanted to begin with.

I'll admit, if I was 20 years younger, I would wait another year, but time is not on my side! 🙂 hehe 

• Like 1