How are the Libra/Orion joysticks compared to Virpil/TM

mx22

So there seems to be a lot of 'first look' videos on YouTube, but I don't think I've seen any comprehensive reviews on either Libra or the new Orion. Are they worth the price? How's the feel of the movement, adjustability? How do these stack up against Virpil's Mongoost/Warbird?

In a quick use/test I'd say it stacks up pretty well grip wise to the WH and base wise to the WarBRD.  For my personal preferences the springs are too heavy (and not designed to be swapped out -- maybe it can be done, but it's not designed with that in mind), and if you're going to have it sitting on a desktop you're going to need to use the suction cups to hold it down when you move it right/left.  Aside from that it was really responsive/nice and smooth.  The grip mini-stick seems really sensitive, so I'm not sure how easy it would be to use the press function without moving it up/down/L/R.  The texture (slightly rough) on the grip was nice in the hand.  Buttons were slightly easier to push vs WH F-18 grip, but didn't all have quite the same clickiness to them (if this is good or bad will depend on your preference).  You can set the angle wherever you want (like the Virpil base).  I got it as part of the combo with the Orion throttle (which was the part I wanted and hasn't shown up yet 😡) so I really only tested it on a quick flight to make sure it worked before I boxed it up again.

Orion throttle base and throttle is superior to the warthog.

for the stick, I like my Virpil WRDBRD base and TM Hornet stick,  better than the orion base/stick  stick feels cheaper, and button are more mushy. and there is some center play

[sIGPIC]https://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic70550_3.gif[/sIGPIC]

Asus Z390-H - SSD M.2 EVO 970 - Intel I9 @5.0ghz - 32gb DDR4 4000 - EVGA 3090 - Cougar FSSB + Virpil WRBRD + Hornet Stick - Thrustmaster TPR Pedal + WinWing MIP + Orion + TO and CO pannels - Track IR5

I *almost* love the Orion stick.

It's smooth in every direction and I quite like the softer force required to press the buttons/hats, though it's unlike real mil-spec buttons which are generally much harder to press, so that might not be to your liking. They have a good definite click when pressed though.

The sensor hat and weapon hat are gated four-way as per most mil-spec hats which I like.

The only problem for me is the small physical deadzone due to the single cam design. It's only a few mm movement, but the stick is free to physically wiggle a little around centre before the bearing moves out of the dead centre of the cam.

The electrical response however, seems perfect so if more aggressive cams with a smaller/nil centre flat could be used then I'd probably continue to use it.

If you didn't already have a quality stick like a VKB/VPC/RS then I'd say it's fine, but you likely won't switch from them if you already have one.

Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty.

- Robert A. Heinlein

16 hours ago, HuggyBear said:

I *almost* love the Orion stick.

It's smooth in every direction and I quite like the softer force required to press the buttons/hats, though it's unlike real mil-spec buttons which are generally much harder to press, so that might not be to your liking. They have a good definite click when pressed though.

The sensor hat and weapon hat are gated four-way as per most mil-spec hats which I like.

The only problem for me is the small physical deadzone due to the single cam design. It's only a few mm movement, but the stick is free to physically wiggle a little around centre before the bearing moves out of the dead centre of the cam.

The electrical response however, seems perfect so if more aggressive cams with a smaller/nil centre flat could be used then I'd probably continue to use it.

If you didn't already have a quality stick like a VKB/VPC/RS then I'd say it's fine, but you likely won't switch from them if you already have one.

I concur on this

[sIGPIC]https://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic70550_3.gif[/sIGPIC]

Asus Z390-H - SSD M.2 EVO 970 - Intel I9 @5.0ghz - 32gb DDR4 4000 - EVGA 3090 - Cougar FSSB + Virpil WRBRD + Hornet Stick - Thrustmaster TPR Pedal + WinWing MIP + Orion + TO and CO pannels - Track IR5