Engine doesn't start at Cold Start

Water14

I'm having problem with the MIG21, I'm trying to start the engine with the Cold Start mode instead of the Normal Start, but it doesn't work.
What have I done: Inverters, Battery, AC Generator, Called for ground power, flipped the ground power switch, started all 3 fuel pumps, Engine APU, Fire extinguishers, released engine lock, moved throttle to min, flipped switch to Cold start, pressed on the Engine starter and hold it for 30 seconds and nothing.

As soon as I switched the switch to Normal Start and pressed the Engine Starter (and waited few seconds) the engine started.
In every guide I had found everyone told to switch to normal.
Why is can't I start the engine on Cold Start? Is it not implemented?

"Cold start" is a bad translation of what it's actually doing, "cold crank" would be more accurate. It turns the engine over without igniting to drain it off. It will not start the engine and in DCS (where the aircraft always spawns in pretty much ready to go), it won't do anything. IRL you'd use it to make sure you didn't have excess fuel chilling in there, which could become a problem when you actually do try to light off the engine for real. Leave the switch in its default position and hit the ignition instead, for DCS.

"Cold start" as it's used in general parlance just means starting the aircraft from a totally "cold and dark" state, i.e. no systems powered on and not plugged into anything.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1