Reset Trim - alternate (improved?) usage proposal

cfrag

I've rarely used trim on my other helicopters (mainly Huey, Hip, and Gazelle, the Shark is so different it doesn't count) and only on the Hind do I need to use trim (when switching to front seat or back). So I find the transition from trimmed to untrimmed settings quite jarring and disruptive, with sometimes even lethal consequences. I would like to propose a way to reduce this.

I would like to propose an optional alternate way to use "reset trim", which is 100% compatible with the way it works today, and is only useful if you are using the (red) controller view: when I depress (but not release) 'reset trim', stick and collective work like in instructor/student mode: a white diamond (cyclic) / bar (collective) appear in the controller view that represent the position I would have to move the stick/collective to in order to match the 'un-trimmed' positions. That way I can match the new positions without disturbing the flight model, mimicking control hand-off between crew members. While I hold down 'reset trim' any movement with stick/collective aren't fed into the flight model and their input is kept at the value from the moment when I depressed 'trim reset'. Once I release 'trim reset', wherever it may be, real stick/collective values commence being fed into the sim. If I exactly match the white markings, the airframe would continue untrimmed with the new controller inputs without changing anything. 

This would allow me to return to untrimmed (and "un-Petrovice'd") stick/collective settings without the airframe gyrating wildly or getting out of control when I take it back from Petr. 

For anyone who merely briefly clicked 'reset trim', everything is exactly the same as before. 

Edited by cfrag
  • Like 3