Gelendzhik - a beautiful scenery with a strange inaccuracy

cfrag

Even though I have every map available, I find myself coming back to beautiful Caucasus. And that is why every time I come in to Gelendzhik I feel a bit annoyed about a strange scenery quirk. At first I noticed it only subconsciously, but it did affect my landings and I didn't know why. Now it just hurts me to se such a beautiful scenery marred by an oversight.

You see, when you come in on 210, you overfly the scenic harbour. Inside that harbour, and close to the runway, there are people sailing in their yachts. The problem: their sails, and especially their spinnakers point to different wind directions. If the spinnakers were removed, it wouldn't be such a problem, but a spinnaker is only used (at least in the way displayed there) when sailing downwind. There are at least two yachts flying spinnakers that are sailing in 180° different directions, which is impossible.

I now have learned not to inform my wind expectation from the yachts (which was why my first landings felt strange), but it still hurts me to look at something as beautiful marred by an obvious impossibility like this. Can we perhaps align the direction of all sailboats flying spinnakers, or (even better) have all sailboats correctly align to the current wind (reaching boats would be at some 45-120°, and spinnakers at 0-45°, no boats sailing into the wind). It's a tiny, tiny thing, I know, but for a scenery that is this beautiful, it would (for me) be the cherry on top 🙂

Thanks,

-ch

Edited by cfrag
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...