VR and i5 9600k? Or upgrade to i7-9700k or i9-9900k? Does it matter? Futureproofing?

Lurker

22 hours ago, Astronaut said:

Just FYI, 80c in a stress test of a i9 9900k is completely fine and normal, don't worry about temps as long as you stay at or under around 90. That chip will run hot, but with a decent cooler, AIO, you'll have no issues with hitting 5ghz all core with hyperthreading on. I haven't seen many that can't. Auto vcore is probably outputting more voltage than is actually needed, manually tuning will help you bring down the temps a few degrees too. 9900k really just needs 1.2v at the chip to be stable, which at full load with minimal LLC usually means 1.3-1.33v is usually fine. On a good chip you can get even lower.

Thanks for this. I've undervolted to 1.2v at the chip (both CPU and Cache) and am running a 5Ghz overclock now, everything seems stable. I'm hitting 84 degrees peaks, with the CPU mostly being at or near 80 degrees with this overclock (under full 100% load) Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to test in DCS World yet, as I've somehow managed to snag a nasty eye infection a couple of day ago and now can't do any flying in VR. 

Edited by Lurker

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

• 2 weeks later...

Okay finally managed to get some limited time in VR with this new setup. I haven't noticed much if any frame-time improvements, but and this is a big but, everything "feels" smoother somehow. Load times are faster, and there is noticeably less frame dropping everywhere. If I were to do a proper VR test (which I wont because of time issues) I think I wouldn't see anything in the average numbers, but the frame-time spikes and drops would be drastically diminished. 

Was it worth it? Well.....it depends. In my case I'd definitely say yeah, yeah it was. Would I recommend it to anyone who wants pure numbers? Probably not. Do you think a 5-10% improvement in CPU frame-time is worth it? Do you hate even the tiny little hitches that happen to time to time in VR, even once you've dropped your settings to hit that 45 or 90fps or whatever? If the answer to those questions is yes, then yeah, definitely go for it. 

Edited by Lurker
  • Like 1

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick.