Mission 5 Convoy Strike

phtate0830

Hi. Enjoying the campaign but I'm having some issues with Mission 5. First, on departure the su-22s land, even if I call for taxi before they actually touchdown, and then block the taxi route to rwy 24 for the wingmen. I get around this by immediately asking for taxi before I'm ready and let my wingmen go ahead as the su-22s do not land if I do this.

Secondly, the wingmen will not attack the convoys through either "attack ground targets" or "attack primary and rejoin commands". This makes it very difficult to cause sufficient damage to the convoy due to the fierce air defences leaving me on my own.

Thank you for your help!

Hi there, I have tweaked the weather a bit on this one. I've never had problems taking off though. The Wingmen followed me nicely and they took off after me. The best way to make the wingman more heroic is to go for "cover me" they will go for the AA threats around you. They will die in the process a lot but at least they take the heat off of you. AI behavior is hit and miss these days. I'm kind of terrified after every update. 

Anyway, I have updated this mission a bit. 

Here is the link with the updated missions, you can overwrite the original mission on your \DCS World\Mods\campaigns\MiG-21bis Battle of Krasnodar folder. 

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1WX6RvDDYt1WaTldvXw5gBEWgA97Z_dpf?usp=sharing

Let me know how it goes. 

Cheers, 

Thanks for the update! There was definitely improvement in the taxiing and your suggestion of using the "cover me" command worked much better. Unfortunately, the DCS AI is still unpredictable and either won't attack or gets distracted by the Hawk SAM and tries to attack that, resulting in them getting shot down.

I think the mission is good but is really handicapped by the AI being unpredictable making the anti air defenses much tougher as only the player really tries to meet the objective. I did pass the mission but that was only after returning to base and reaming and the AI only taking out 2 AA (I took out the other two). Maybe to get around the DCS AI issues it might be better to reduce the number of vehicles needed to be destroyed before mission success because it is quite challenging to destroy the necessary number on your own?

Really enjoying the campaign and it's nice to have some content for the MiG-21. Hopefully DCS AI improves as it really hinders single player sometimes.

1 hour ago, phtate0830 said:

Thanks for the update! There was definitely improvement in the taxiing and your suggestion of using the "cover me" command worked much better. Unfortunately, the DCS AI is still unpredictable and either won't attack or gets distracted by the Hawk SAM and tries to attack that, resulting in them getting shot down.

I think the mission is good but is really handicapped by the AI being unpredictable making the anti air defenses much tougher as only the player really tries to meet the objective. I did pass the mission but that was only after returning to base and reaming and the AI only taking out 2 AA (I took out the other two). Maybe to get around the DCS AI issues it might be better to reduce the number of vehicles needed to be destroyed before mission success because it is quite challenging to destroy the necessary number on your own?

Really enjoying the campaign and it's nice to have some content for the MiG-21. Hopefully DCS AI improves as it really hinders single player sometimes.

You are correct there. I'm testing right now a concept where hitting certain trucks will create some collateral/secondaries damage in a convoy like that. If it's doable and realistic enough I'll implement it in these missions. The AI is pretty much cannon fodder in this. Takes the focus away from you. The problem is not just how dumb it is, it's the fact that these inconsistencies change from one update to another. Going through, so far, 75 missions, plus the ones that I'm working on after each update it's a major pain, and that's just a basic smoke test.