Procedure question: flaps for CAS?

B-7

Hi there. I’m only starting to learn DCS and the Thunder (ages of experience with civilian flight sims), and so far it’s amazingly different experience, so first of all, thanks to the Deka team.

So far, I’m learning to operate and use the AG weaponry, and it brought up a question. In a CAS scenario (I imagine this thing wasn’t specifically made for it, but should be capable), with low chances of AA in the area, when I’m trying to lock something like a 701, it proves pretty hard, that thing is going really fast and you basically have to coax the FPV and the seeker. But that also makes, well, the close in a straight line, so you don’t have much time.

The question is: would it be a valid procedure for the jets of that kind (including say F-16 or F-5) to drop the TEFs for this kind of engagement, to have additional precision and lower speed, and better recovery chances? I’m already actively using speedbrakes for it, but that looks like a possibly working idea to me.

Edited by B-7

With the 701, use the Tpod, HUD, or radar to get close, when you make the 701 your SOI you should TDC depress before anything else to ground stabilize the seeker, then slew to the target and lock. 

As for TEFs, they stay up for me, I never need to be so low and slow that they should be down.

Edited by Foogle

I see, I was mostly curious about “is that done or not”, cause I can see other TEFs uses in a combat situation too. The solution of targeting pod or even markpoint is really quite obvious, but one of the 701 advantages is that it doesn’t really need it (having it’s own camera).

Thanks anyway.

Yes, but that is the solution.

Having its own camera lets it work in a pinch, without an ideal loadout, for example by freeing up a pylon for use by something other than your TPOD.  The camera on the weapon isn't meant to render the hud unnecessary.  The name of the game is combined sensor input.

Generally for CAS the last thing you want to do is fly low and slow over the affected area, removing a significant component of your JF17's ability to defend itself and rendering yourself a much easier target for a wider variety of anti aircraft weaponry that might otherwise have had a near 0 chance of successfully engaging ypi.

Speed, afterall, is life.

Edited by fergrim

• 2 months later...

You are flying too close and too low to the target. Fly higher and further away, and don't be afraid to fly the Jeff at 250 kts. She flies really well between 250-350 kts (depending on weight). If you have wing tanks then don't get below 300 kts.

Learn your weapon gimbal limits, and fly a Z pattern while you search for the target. Once you have it, accelerate (if beyond weapon range) until within launch parameters, and then fire.

The Jeff weapons are best around the 20-25k altitude (some have a hard limit above which you can't fire them anyway). Forward airspeed is everything, and for glide munitions don't forget to point your nose (azimuth NOT pitch!) at the target with lots of speed!

A quick rule of thumb: if you're at 20000 ft and the ground target is at -10 degrees in the HUD, then the target is ~20 NM away. That is less than 3 minutes flight-time. At -5 deg. it is ~40 NM away, and at -15 deg. it is ~10 NM away.

20000 ft:

-5 = 40 NM (x 2)

-10 = 20 NM (1:1)

-15 = 10 NM (x 0.5)

Edited by Tiger-II

Motorola 68000 | 1 Mb | Debug port

"When performing a forced landing, fly the aircraft as far into the crash as possible." - Bob Hoover.

The JF-17 is not better than the F-16; it's different. It's how you fly that counts.

"An average aircraft with a skilled pilot, will out-perform the superior aircraft with an average pilot."