Multiplayer Helicopter Flying and Training Servers (your recommendations)

Maximo

Check out the Texas 149th Helicopter Training Server on the Multiplayer Server section of DCS.  [ If you can't locate it, then you may need to update your current DCS to the Open Beta version of DCS - there are over 1200 Servers listed in DCS 2.7.9 Open Beta !]

You don't have to read below this line - for newer DCS helicopter pilots that are new to DCS Multiplayer (MP) Servers.  Feel free to comment and critique/correct anything.  We'll always go with the better suggestion and comments.  S!

I fly as:    Pistol 9-9 I Mikey

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I got tired of going onto so many great Servers with fast-movers/jets that sped over to the targets that I had selected and flown to for 10 or 15 minutes in my KA-50 Black Shark 2 only to have the target destroyed just before I get to it.  So I went looking for a Helicopter Only Training Server with the right mix of nearby targets to your FARP/launch point for the most fun and no jets flying around.

My choice is the Texas 149th Helicopter Training Server and here's why:

1. Many ground targets surround your takeoff point and are a short flight of about 4 or 5 minutes in any direction.

2. No jets on the site that I know of so your target will still be there.

3. Very well managed and run.  A solid Server - have flown on it solo for a few weeks with no problems.

4. The targets are pretty cool and varied - they 'scatter like rats' when attacked and hide to some degree.  They shoot back-from the small missiles on Hummer-like vehicles to AK47 soldiers firing.  They use some of the bigger AA guns/tanks - 57mm I think, as well as the 23mm guns.

5. Labels:  Dot Only. (enemy targets are a red dot)

6. F10 map key is available.  All friendly helos can be seen.  There are no enemy helicopters on the Server.  They also use smoke in the distance to help you orientate where there may be some targets.

7. Starts with your helo hot/engine running.  New players-make sure to load weapons/missiles, etc.  Helicopter is clean on startup.

- I think the Server resets every 4 hours?  not sure.

- l'd recommend that you download DCS Simple Radio Standalone (DCS SRS) here:  http://dcssimpleradio.com/ . [ I use the latest version which is 1.9.9 ]

If you download DCS SRS, just make sure to assign a transmitter key either on your joystick, HOTAS, or keyboard.  Select 'autoconnect' is a good idea too.  You don't have to talk on the radio but you can learn a lot by listening to other pilots talk and coordinate their attacks on a specific target.  It adds a fun immersion when you can hear others talking.  Start DCS SRS before logging into DCS World is a good idea too.

- Let's have fun on this Server!  We could 'flashmob' the Server with helicopter new guys flying and training, etc., on the hour or half hour and text or talk about what everyone wants to do.   For example, prior to takeoff, if you don't want to talk, just text:  " heading for convoy north of my position.  See you there."   Or:  " working the south end of the convoy, you guys work the north end of the convoy - we'll meet in the middle for join-up formation back to FARP/base."   Or:  'gonna fly solo today guys - I'm new.' (i.e, leave me alone).  You get the idea.

- You don't have to chat or talk on the Server, but it would be fun to see other helicopters attacking targets just for the fun of it.  Tag along and have fun, take nothing personal, ask questions if you're having trouble with your helicopter flying.  After all, it is a training server.

ps.  I am not affiliated with this Server or its staff in any way.  For those that are, Well done!  This is the ideal helicopter training Server!

Pistol 9-9 I Mikey

Edited by Maximo
typo