WarBRD grip for modern aircraft?

Ben Sones

I'm looking to upgrade my HOTAS; I currently use a CH Products setup--Fighterstick, Pro Throttle, Pro Pedals. There's nothing wrong with it--it works fine and will probably continue to work fine for the next hundred years or so because: CH Products. I've had it for a very long time--I bought it when the original Black Shark came out, before DCS World even existed. I think I'm due for an upgrade. For the stick and throttle, at least. I like the CH pedals, and plan to keep them. 

I want a stick (and throttle) that will work as a desktop solution. I have neither the space nor the inclination to build a simpit, and I use this PC for a bunch of other things, including work, so I need a HOTAS that can be quickly brought out when needed and put away when not in use. I don't really want to use desk mounts, either. I don't need the extra setup hassle (even the quick release ones would be more of a pain than just grabbing a desktop stick), and I don't want to have to push my chair back farther away from my monitor (which you need to do even with something like the Monstertech mounts, just to get your arm at a comfortable angle to the stick and throttle). So: desktop gear only. Non-negotiable!

With that in mind, stick height is an issue. My CH Fighterstick is 10.25 inches tall and is very comfortable to use as a desktop stick, even in prolonged sessions. The Thrustmaster Warthog is a bit less than an inch taller, which would also be fine (I tried playing with my CH stick on top of a book, just to confirm the comfort level of a slightly higher stick). Thrustmaster's stick also gets bonus points for being heavy and having a wide base, which are useful features in a non-mounted stick. But I don't want a Warthog HOTAS. 

I've tentatively ruled out the Winwing Orion (at least the stick--the throttle is a possibility). It's closer to two inches taller than my current stick, which is right on the edge of being too tall. It's also a lot lighter and has a terrible base. My desktop is a birch butcher block, and I am not at all certain those suction cups would stick to it. I considered MacGyver-ing a better baseplate but decided that I'm going to be spending that much money, I'd rather buy something that I don't immediately need to mod. 

Option #1 is the VKB MCG on a Gunfighter base. I'd want to go with the Ultimate, because I'd rather have three hats on top of the stick, and not one hat and two analog mini sticks. So that would be very expensive, and I'd probably have to hold off on getting a new throttle for the time being. I don't necessarily mind doing that: the CH throttle is fine, and I don't mind sticking with it for the time being. Replacing the stick is my higher priority. And the VKB Gunfighter/MCG combo has a lot of good features. It's the same height as a Warthog stick, and has a wide, heavy base. The stick has a ton of inputs, which is nice. So, it's an option. 

Option #2: get a Virpil WarBRD base, with a WarBRD stick. Virpil's MT-50 stick is way too long for desktop use, but the WarBRD + WarBRD combo is, like the VKB, almost exactly the same height as a TM Warthog stick. The WarBRD base is a bit lighter than VKB's, but it has a wide stance and seems like it would be stable. This combo is considerably cheaper (especially with the current 10% off promo), which is a major plus. The stick is plastic rather than metal, but I don't mind plastic as long as it's sturdy (my CH Fighterstick is plastic, but it's built like a tank). 

The main concern is functionality. Aesthetically, I like the minimalism of this F-4/F-5 style stick, but it obviously has a lot fewer inputs than the VKB, or even compared to what I have now. Two hats (with push), two buttons, and a two-stage trigger. That said, I'm comfortable using a modifier. I currently use the pinky button on my throttle to simulate a dual-stage trigger on my stick (the CH stick is just a one-stage), and also to double up some functions on my throttle hats. With a modifier key, the WarBRD effectively has four hats and four buttons, which seems like it should be fine for any modern jet? 

Crazy, or workable? Does anyone here fly modern aircraft with this stick? Thoughts?

Here's an alternative to a simpit or desktop setup.   It's highly mobile with no setup attachment required (in my case my desk is wide enough that I just move it off to the side when I'm not using it).  The top piece allows my chair to go under it which allows me to keep it and myself tight to the desk.  You could do whatever height you want (whatever is comfortable) and as long as you keep the top of the joystick base at or below the height of top of your desk (so your stick doesn't hit when you go forward) you can keep it in tight.  Gets around trying to keep it stable on your desktop.  I have the pedals on base to give it a little more downpressure to hold things in one place.

I started with CH products and whichever way you go will be a really nice upgrade to them (I haven't felt the need to upgrade my CH pedals yet, they just don't get enough use in modern jets).  Currently using a Winwing throttle (hidden behind the board I used as a backdrop for the pic to make it easier to see) with TM grip (A10 or F18) and WarBRD base.

Stick setup.jpg

I considered something like that, but I'd need to push my chair back a foot or so to use it, leaving me farther from my monitor, which is a negative. I guess I could move my monitor forward, but there's a lot of cabling that feeds through my monitor stand and then is secured in cable routing channels behind my desk, so I'd need to readjust that stuff every time I did it, and... no. Just, no. And with my chair pushed back, I can no longer comfortably reach my throttle on the desktop, so I'd need to have a stand for that, too, and then I'd need to find room to store two big HOTAS stands in my office. 

Like I said, I considered all these options, and decided that I'd much rather find a desktop solution. 

Stick height, distance from the monitor and not willing to modify my desk were also my considerations before getting a new stick. I eventually got warbrd with constellation which is reportedly not the best option for desktop. And it is indeed a little high but I don't find it uncomfortable. I mean, I can feel that my hand may not be in the optimal position on the stick but I don't really mind and I'd get the same stick again.
Eventually it's always in the back of my head that one day I will get a vr headset and I will be able to make some other arrangement for the hotas since distance from the monitor won't be relevant. 270e1192ca165d014e8c0193fb3daddd.jpg

Sent from my M2012K11AG using Tapatalk